Arm & Hammer Super Scoop Unscented Clumping Cat Litter  » Pets  »
  • I know, it is 31 lbs – kind of obvious that it is going to be heavy, but what I hadn’t realized is that a 31 lb box is quite difficult to lift and hold in order to pour the cat litter in to the litter box
  • As you are pouring the litter into the litter tray, I noticed that there was no dust flying around or fly away pieces
  • The best part about this cat litter is that it really does live up to its claims

• by gecko

I didn’t think I would ever be writing a review on cat litter, but here goes. After adopting a kitten from a local shelter, we needed all of the new cat stuff for our new arrival including cat litter. Viewing the vast array on offer in the store was quite intimidating, however, we decided to try Arm & Hammer Super Scoop Unscented Clumping Cat Litter.

I’ll be honest, the main reason for going for this one was that it was on special offer, and came with 31 lbs for the price of 28 lbs. In all, it was $9.99 for 31 lbs.

The first thing I realized about this cat litter was the weight. I know, it is 31 lbs – kind of obvious that it is going to be heavy, but what I hadn’t realized is that a 31 lb box is quite difficult to lift and hold in order to pour the cat litter in to the litter box. The design of the

box is such that the opening is small and difficult to maneuver. This is not a negative about the product, but is something to bear in mind when buying, and whether it will be easy to fill the litter box.

The litter itself is in small granules, and looks almost sandy in nature. It feels like it has substance and is quite a dense litter which is a really good thing. As you are pouring the litter into the litter tray, I noticed that there was no dust flying around or fly away pieces. It poured nicely and stayed put in the litter tray until I spread it out.

Our kitten took to it immediately (thankfully) and has no problems using it at all. Also thankfully, it has not attracted her to play in it or use it for anything other than that which it is supposed to be used!

The best part about this cat litter is that it really does live up to its claims.

• It does trap all odors, and you cannot smell anything. This is very important, as it is not a covered litter box, it is an open one. Even after a full day of use, there is no smell noticeable, even up close. Fantastic.

I suspect as is the case with all litter, there is a certain amount of tracking. By this I mean, when the kitten jumps out of the litter box, some of the litter does stick to her feet and come out of the box on to the floor. Thankfully, we are talking very small amounts of litter, and it is confined to the immediate area around the box. We have a tracking mat to catch this, I can’t say that works, she manages to jump over the mat! It is to be noted that a small amount of litter will end up on the floor around the box, but this can easily be swept up, and so far

I haven’t noticed it being tracked through the house.

The cat litter also clumps really well. There is not breakage at all, and makes cleaning the litter tray an absolute breeze. Because it clumps so well, this also means that it is a time saver, because cleaning the litter tray becomes really quick as well.

To me, this is a really good cat litter, and I have been repurchasing. If there is a downside at all, it is it doesn’t last very long. The box advises to fill the litter box with about 3 inches of cat litter. If I did this, it would use the entire box, and our kitten does not seem to like it that deep. So whilst that may be right for some cats, it doesn’t appear to be right for ours. Even with moderate filling, this huge box is barely lasting 2 weeks. Am I doing something wrong??

Good cat litter, excellent odor control, cat is happy, so I am happy!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2924031453070231/k2311a0324/3.24.11