The 2010 MacBook Air 11″  » Laptops  »
  • I wasn't disappointed by the device, which proved to be the ideal writing machine
  • I like small things, but the regular-sized keyboard makes no compromises, and the screen, despite being touted as small, is actually big enough to read from and easy on the eyes
  • I should say that the replacement MBA also suffers occasional kernel panics, usually coming out of deep sleep, but not as often as the previous one, so I'm hoping a firmware update will resolve this issue

• by penmanila

I’ve been a Mac user since the mid-1980s–yes, almost right after the Macintosh first appeared–and, in particular, I’ve used and loved nearly every Macintosh laptop that Apple has produced. I have a little museum of them at home, from the very first PowerBook 100 to a clutch of Duos, 2400c’s, MacBooks, and now the MacBook Air.

I’ve had three MBAs, starting with the very first edition from 2008. I had been waiting for ages, however, for an even smaller version of the MBA, something closer to the teeny-weeny Dell Minis and Sony Vaios that, were in not

for the OS, I would’ve jumped on, simply because of their extreme portability. I’m a professional writer, and portability and connectivity are crucial to any choice I make as far as equipment goes.

I ordered and picked up the new 11-inch MBA in the US almost as soon as it hit the stores. I wasn’t disappointed by the device, which proved to be the ideal writing machine. I like small things, but the regular-sized keyboard makes no compromises, and the screen, despite being touted as small, is actually big enough to read from and easy on the ...

• eyes. (You may need to upsize your Word documents to 125% or 150% for best results.)

Like its predecessors, the new MBA doesn’t have an optical drive, but in all my three years of using MBAs, I’ve resorted to the optional external drive only about 6 or 7 times, so I’m not missing much. Given today’s large-capacity USB thumb drives, I’d gladly forgo the bulk an optical drive will entail.

I had to bring in my MBA 11″ back to the Apple Store, however, because of frequent “kernel panics” or freeze-ups. They replaced it without much fuss–plus one

for Apple service. I should say that the replacement MBA also suffers occasional kernel panics, usually coming out of deep sleep, but not as often as the previous one, so I’m hoping a firmware update will resolve this issue. I also miss the keyboard backlighting from my old MBA, and I hope they bring it back in a later version.

Overall, the machine is snappy, the screen is sharp and bright, the keys have excellent travel and feedback, and the finish of the unibody MBA is as clean and sleek as you can expect from something designed in Cupertino.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 6323031451920631/k2311a0323/3.23.11