Burt’s Bees Herbal Insect Repellent 4 oz  » Health  »
  • Although this may not sound like a perfume of choice, it is much better than my previous experience with Jason brand
  • The first thing I noticed after the scent was that it is very oily
  • There was the additional problem of the repellent diluting my sun block
  • I found that dirt and pieces of grass stuck to my skin easily, and I am sure I looked like a porcupine before the day was over
  • I would definitely recommend this as long as you are ok with the fact that it is extremely greasy

• by reviewabit

I am leery of deet after reading some negative things about its effects on health, so I have been on the lookout for a natural alternative to traditional insect repellants. I tried one brand, and was very unhappy that it seemed to produce no effect at all. It smelled bad, and I got covered in bites.

I was skeptical about trying Burt’s Bees brand, even though I am actually a fan of their products in general. This formula has quite a few more active ingredients than the other brand I tried (Jason) which relied only on geranium oil and soybean oil.

The Burt’s Bees formula has those ingredients

as well, but also has citronella, rosemary, cedar, peppermint, and clove oils. The citronella especially caught my attention, since this is a commonly used ingredient in insect repellent candles.

When I first tried the product, I was relieved to find that it has a much more pleasant smell than the other brand. It is a citrus/citronella smell, reminiscent of the bug candles, or lemon furniture spray.

Although this may not sound like a perfume of choice, it is much better than my previous experience with Jason brand. I was wearing shorts and a tank top on the day I tried this product, and working in and ...

• around my pool.

The first thing I noticed after the scent was that it is very oily. This product is almost like a pure oil.

Since I have combination skin, I was hesitant to put it anywhere near my face or upper arms because sometimes they break out in the heat. There was the additional problem of the repellent diluting my sun block.

Fortunately, it seemed to work out ok, but I did feel like I was covered in an oil slick, which is not particularly pleasant when working in the heat. I found that dirt and pieces of grass stuck to my skin easily, and I am sure I looked

like a porcupine before the day was over.

As for its performance, it actually seemed to work pretty well. Not quite as well as the deet brands, but I only got two bites, and a few buzzy things circling my head– other than that, I was fine.

This was a huge improvement over the Jason. I would definitely recommend this as long as you are ok with the fact that it is extremely greasy.

It doesn’t make you look good, and smells like a bug candle. No product is perfect, and for the trade off of a safer, more natural formula, this may just be worth it for you.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3422031451560431/k2311a0322/3.22.11