Philips DCM250 Docking Entertainment System  » Electronics  »
  • I thought it was just another glorified iPod dock, but after using it for a while in the store, I was so interested in it that I decided to buy it
  • When I first got the product, I found it very easy to set it up initially
  • Several minutes later, however, I just heard a lot of static and I was disappointed by this a lot
  • The FM radio was really bad, and I thought that if they couldn't get something as basic as the FM radio right, then it was highly unlikely that they would make anything else right
  • The one thing that really made me impressed about this docking systems is its extra features

• by Sam Amulyoto

When I first saw the Philips DCM250 Docking Entertainment system, I didn’t pay too much attention to it. I thought it was just another glorified iPod dock, but after using it for a while in the store, I was so interested in it that I decided to buy it. It reminds me of the Wave Music System from Bose, and I honestly think it s a very significant competitor of the Bose. I used to have JBL On Stage and iHome iH30B docking systems, and I can confidently say that the Philips is much more than just a docking station.

When I first got the product, I found it very easy to set it up initially. Immediately I switched it on, it asked to find AM and FM stations, and I let it automatically search and save them. Several minutes later, however, I just heard a lot of static and I was disappointed by this a

lot. The FM radio was really bad, and I thought that if they couldn’t get something as basic as the FM radio right, then it was highly unlikely that they would make anything else right. The product specs indicate that the Docking station can display RDS information, but when I tried to use it, it didn’t show it on station which I knew for a fact broadcasted RDS text. I think this could be a reception issue.

I then decided to play a CD using the device, and the sound quality that came out of it was simply amazing. For such a cheap device (it has cost me $140 on Amazon) it produced very good sound. I also tried to take a look at the iPod dock, and I was impressed by the fact that it didn’t have different dock inserts, which so many other manufacturers do these days. It simply has an adjustable back support,

• and the simplicity looked very elegant to me. In my household, we have an iPod Nano, two iPhones and an iPod Classic, and all of these could fit into the dock without any problems at all. Also, the unit is capable of charging the iPod which I also think is a very nifty feature.

The docking system comes with pre-set EQs, and I found that they did a very good job of adjusting the frequencies for most types of music. However, I would have really loved for it to have customizable EQs. However, this is a minor issue since there’s such a wide variety of pre-set EQs, and only a very discerning audiophile would have problems with it.

The one thing that really made me impressed about this docking systems is its extra features. It can do CD, iPod or even radio functions just like all other docking stations, but I also found that it can

play media from a flash drive (it has a USB slot) and it also has a headphone jack input for playback. It also has a video out port, meaning that you can play videos from the device onto a TV.

Overall, I found this to be a very capable device despite its few shortcomings. The FM reception was really bad, and the only way I got it to work was to get a third party antenna. I also found the remote to be a bit too difficult to use, it was unresponsive and most of the time very inaccurate. When browsing my iPod with it, I found it to be a pretty much hit and miss affair while using the remote. On the bright side, the remote did feel very comfortable to hold. Other than these minor issues, I loved this docking system. The sound quality is excellent, and the extra features are very useful.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1621031450101031/k2311a0321/3.21.11