Nook Colour Ebook Tablet
2.7
  • When I got the Nook, one of the first things that I noticed about it was the quality of the display
  • The screen had a very sharp resolution, and the wallpapers and book title colours were displayed in amazing clarity
  • This is because at even 25% of the maximum brightness, I found the screen too bright for my eyes
  • It also has a hole a the bottom left corner, which I don't think serves any purpose and is, in my opinion, superfluous
  • It costs $249 from B&N online, which is a little high, but I think it's definitely worth it

• by Sam Amulyoto

Last Christmas, I received a Nook Colour e book tablet as a present, I have been using it since then.

When I got the Nook, one of the first things that I noticed about it was the quality of the display. The screen had a very sharp resolution, and the wallpapers and book title colours were displayed in amazing clarity. I also found the touch screen to be very responsive. It has a facility where you can adjust the brightness, though I have never really found it necessary to do so. This is because at even 25% of the maximum brightness, I found the screen too bright for my eyes. One thing that I didn’t like about the the screen was the way it behaved when I plugged the device into an AC power source. When I did this, the touch screen usually malfunctioned; it couldn’t even perform simple tasks such us unlocking the device. Flipping to the

next screen also needed several swipes, and turning the pages often gave unpredictable results, such as moving to the fifth page or something of the sort. However, these issues didn’t occur when the device was off AC power. This meant that when the battery was low, I couldn’t use it since it’s virtually impossible to use.

I found the hardware for the device to be pretty decent. It had a metallic finish on the front and back which gave me a very nice grip and also made the Nook look really stylish. However, I soon bought a cover for it so that it couldn’t get scratched, so the grip doesn’t really matter now. It weighs the same as a small hard-cover book, and I found it pretty pleasant to hold since it never strained my arm. It also has a hole a the bottom left corner, which I don’t think serves any purpose and is, in my opinion, superfluous. The Nook’s battery life was very good too. I don’t use it on WiFi at home, and on low brightness I could go for several days without having to change the battery. It could stay for as much as a week without needing another charge, and I found this impressive considering that I used it frequently.

The Nook is based on the Android operating system, though I was a bit disappointed to find that it didn’t have access to apps from the Android market. I think it would be fantastic if they could allow one to get apps from the app store, though the lack of it isn’t a major problem. That said, I think the fact that it’s an Android device isn’t such a huge selling point. The Nook does come with apps such as Pandora and Sudoku, and these helped a bit whenever I was bored. The Nook could easily connect to WiFi. It also ...

• Nook Colour Ebook Tablet
      remembers settings for different hot spots, meaning that you don’t have to keep entering the settings for them, which I found really convenient. I used it a lot for checking my Facebook and email whenever I wasn’t close to a computer, and I really loved it’s speed and accuracy at this.

As an e book reader, I found this device to be more than worth it. I found it very easy to add EPUB files from my computer directly, and rendering of the e books was very good. One thing I didn’t like in this respect is the fact that you can’t read PUB files as you would on a regular Nook, and since most of my books are in this format, I found this a bit disappointing. Other than this, my experience with the Nook as an e Book reader was very good. The rendering was wonderful, and so far I have had a very good reading experience.

You can also load music onto the Nook, and I found that music loaded and played very easily, though I rarely use this feature since I have an iPod. Pictures also loaded very easily, though one has to have the device in the gallery feature in order to see previews of the pictures. If not, the pictures are just displayed as picture file types, and you have to click them in order to open them and see what picture it is. I think this is a silly issue, and I hope that B&N will fix this.

All in all, I think this is a really good product, though it still has a lot of potential for improvement. It made it possible for me to not have to leave my house in order to read a book, which for me is really convenient. It costs $249 from B&N online, which is a little high, but I think it’s definitely worth it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1621031450081031/k2311a0321/3.21.11