Springfield XD40
  • I know that this is subjective from person to person, but both models felt good
  • If you are looking for something in the moderate price range (around $400.00 american where I live) for personal protection or home defece, then try out a Springfield XD, I think you will be pleased

• by chip pittman
      One of the advantages of being a firearms instructor at a police department is that people ask you to try their new guns. I recently had the pleasure of shooting two of the new Springfield XD handguns. Both were chambered in .

40S&W; One was a full size, the other sub-compact. I was very pleased with both firearms.

The Springfield feels good in the hand. I know that this is subjective from person to person, but both models felt good.

I am usually very picky about the feel of a firearm, so this was a relief. The trigger pull was lighter than what I was used to, but this only helped accuracy.

There are multiple safeties, and the weapon will not fire if you are not holding it properly while pulling the trigger. The guns had never been fired, but came out of the box ready to go.

Many guns require a few hundred rounds to be fired through ...

• them before they become reliable, but the Springfields came ready to work. We tried several types of ammunition, including Speer Gold-Dot, Federal Hydrashock and Winchester FMJ target rounds.

All of them were devoured without hesitation by the XDs. The accuracy was better than expected from a polymer pistol.

These are not modified “race guns” or anything fancy at all, but they both grouped very well from the 25 yard line. I would expect the deviation of the full sized

model to be less than 2 inches from the 25 if it were put on a proper rest.

I would not hesitate to go on duty with either of these firearms, and would actually prefer( i know, it is blasphemy) it to the Glock Model 22 that I currently carry. If you are looking for something in the moderate price range (around $400 american where I live) for personal protection or home defece, then try out a Springfield XD, I think you will be pleased.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 12504144951030/k2311a045/4.5.07