Canon VIXIA HV40 HD Camcorder  » Cameras  »
2.5
  • I used this camera for a while before giving it to her, and I found that the camera does produce quality that is nearly equivalent to what you would expect to get from a pro grade camera such as a DSLR
  • I also found the camera's performance in low light to be much better than I had expected, despite the fact that it was a Canon and my experience with them in low light photography is generally good
  • Granted the HG20 doesn't have a viewfinder, but I usually find that more convenient
  • Basically, then, I think that if you have already invested in DV equipment such as gear or editing programs, then the HV40 is, in my opinion, the best choice unless you want to go into four figure price territory
  • If all you are looking for is a camera that you want to use to take home movies in HD, I would recommend that you get the lower cost Vixias, such as the Canon HF200

• by Sam Amulyoto

I recently bought my daughter a camera, a 2009 model Canon Vixia HV40 HD Camcorder at $700. This is a reasonably recent-generation camera, so the image quality in terms of still photos was excellent. I used this camera for a while before giving it to her, and I found that the camera does produce quality that is nearly equivalent to what you would expect to get from a pro grade camera such as a DSLR. The effect was astonishing. I have used a flash based Canon Vixia HFS10 and also a Canon Vixia HG20 (which was hard drive based), so I was only left with the DV camera to try out.

I found the menus from this camera, just like the menus of all other

Canon cameras, to be very easy to use in terms of navigation. However, they didn’t look to me to be as clean looking compared to other Canon camera’s I’ve used. The menus looked a bit crude, though I could live with this. I also found the camera’s performance in low light to be much better than I had expected, despite the fact that it was a Canon and my experience with them in low light photography is generally good. The image stabilizer in this camera was very capable of compensating for shaky hands, and the image quality was acceptable even when I took photos while shaking. However, the image quality when taken like this wasn’t comparable to what you would normally get from a Canon ...

• Elph camera.

The more I used this camera, the more I wondered why I hadn’t just bought the HG20 for my daughter instead. This is because the specs for both cameras are more or less similar, and their sizes are also basically the same. Granted the HG20 doesn’t have a viewfinder, but I usually find that more convenient. I mean, there’s no doubt that this is an excellent camera, but the HG20 measures up to it and comes at a cheaper price, so I didn’t see the point of buying it.

into four figure price territory. Also, for quick tape archival, from experience I think the HV40 is an excellent piece of kit. As a DV camera this is an excellent choice, and the only reason why I wouldn’t give it ten out of ten stars is because of it’s cruder user interface, and the fact that its zoom is only 10x.

If all you are looking for is a camera that you want to use to take home movies in HD, I would recommend that you get the lower cost Vixias, such as the Canon HF200. In the end, you’d lose nothing in terms of functionality of image quality. If you aren’t already using DV, then there’s really not much reason to start using it now.

Canon VIXIA HV40 HD Camcorder

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4320031449450531/k2311a0320/3.20.11