Holy Family Catholic Community  » Religion  »
7321 Burkittsville Road Middletown, MD 21769
  • If you are new to the area and looking for a good place to worship and make friends, Holy Family is an excellent option to consider

• by Alanna Rosewood

I have been attending Holy Family Catholic Community, a Roman Catholic church, for 10 years with the rest of my family ever since we moved to the area. We absolutely loved the priest, the community, and even the building itself. Since being there, there have been two new priests (the first retired after serving the church for 20 years), the most recent having become a permanent replacement only a year ago. He is a definite improvement upon the priest before him, who had a difficult time dealing with the many duties that come with being the leader of a community as large as Holy Family. The new

priest gives beautiful, but relevant, sermons every Sunday, no exceptions. He is also very involved in the community and takes the time to get to know his parishioners personally.

The church itself is very beautiful, open, and inviting. There are so many activities that a person can get involved in that it is almost mindboggling. I have participated in several of the committees, especially the day care center for parents during mass times and the choir. The mass times are also very accommodating: there is one on Saturday night and two different ones on Sunday morning. They are all traditional masses, but the Saturday night mass tends to ...

• be more informal than either Sunday mass.

The community itself is very open to all walks of life, something I find rare even in churches that claim they accept anyone. I have brought several non-Christian friends with me to masses, and many other parishioners were aware of it and simply made it a way to start conversation (but only in polite ways, I have never heard rude comments from any of them about other people without good cause). They make themselves open to newcomers and will willingly invite them into their homes and try to make them a part of the community themselves. When we first moved to

the community we had a difficult time avoiding constant engagements, but we appreciated their efforts and kindness. Even today we are still very good friends with these same people, though because of distance issues we do not attend as often as we used to. Everyone always pulls together when they are needed, however, no matter the situation.

I will not deny that every organization has its issues, but Holy Family and its parishioners always seem to pull together, even during difficult times. If you are new to the area and looking for a good place to worship and make friends, Holy Family is an excellent option to consider.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5120031449420531/k2311a0320/3.20.11