St. Louis Bread Company Smokehouse Turkey Panini
  • I enjoyed all the Panera sandwiches up to this point, and I enjoyed this one as well
  • However, I will not deny that it was delicious

• by carblover

This is my fourth Panini that I’m trying from Panera. They have a total of five different kinds of Panini on their Signature Hot Panini menu and I was on number four. Unlike the other Panini, which are on thick Italian breads like focaccia and ciabatta, this is the only Panini that is on sliced bread (as a Panini really should be). I enjoyed all the Panera sandwiches up to this point, and I enjoyed this one as well. But I have

a tiny complaint about this Panini in particular. Why does it cost so much?

This Panini has smoke turkey, applewood-smoked bacon, and smoked cheddar. Hence, the name “Smokehouse” turkey Panini. However, this Panini had the least “smoke” essence than the Cuban chicken and frontega chicken paninis. However, I will not deny that it was delicious. Who can resist turkey, bacon, and melted cheese? This Panini also comes on three-cheese sliced bread made specially that morning. Although the texture and taste ...

• of the bread was well-suited for this Panini, I didn’t taste a three-cheese essence very much… not at all really. But I will not deny that the Panini was well toasted and that really brought out the flavors of the bread, turkey, bacon and cheese. It was also spread with a sun-dried tomato ale mustard, which complemented the poultry deli meat very well. While this sandwich was delicious, I didn’t think it was well-inspired and innovative enough to charge over $7. What
        would have been nice were to have more roasted bell peppers or even roasted eggplant; it needed something light to counter the richness of the bacon and cheddar cheese.

Panera makes good sandwiches because they use quality ingredients and artisan bread. The Smokehouse Turkey Hot Panini was a delicious sandwich, but I didn’t think it was inspired enough to pay the amount that I did. There was too much richness and no counterbalance. But for those who like meat, bacon and cheese, give this sandwich a try.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2717031446920331/k2311a0317/3.17.11