St. Louis Bread Company Frontega Chicken Panini  » Food  »
  • I don’t know what “frontega” means but I thoroughly enjoyed this Panini

• by carblover

This is the first Panini I ordered from Panera’s Hot Panini menu. I chose to try this Panini first because it sounded like a pizza pie from the description of ingredients. It has smoked pulled chicken and melted mozzarella with tomatoes, onions, and fresh basil. It sounds like a pizza so far, right? Oh, and there’s chipotle mayonnaise. That’s where the pizza imagery is broken. Also , it comes on a focaccia, which I’ve had before and

loved.

When I picked up this Panini at the counter, I was instantly surprised at how thick the sandwich was. Opening the halves up, I was overwhelmed by the amount of smoked chicken – the flesh was white but the outsides was lightly dark-brown from the smokiness. The meat was succulent and looked even more so with the mozzarella oozing on top. The tomatoes, when warmed, were heightened with sun-ripen taste and ribboned with bits of green basil. Then there’s the ...

• chipotle mayonnaise – lightly brown in color from the spices and the peppers. The smoky creaminess is a great complement to the chicken and cheese. For a Panini, it wasn’t really pressed but it was thoroughly warmed through enough to melt the cheese and bring out the juices of the chicken. The heating was an essential component because it intensified the smokiness of the chicken. It was hearty, delicious, and soul-satisfying. For this Panini, the amount of chicken made
        the sandwich.

I don’t know what “frontega” means but I thoroughly enjoyed this Panini. I’m sure Italians will scoff and say “a Panini, this isn’t!” But I would exclaim, “but delicious, it is”. The focaccia was crunchy and not too greasy, and chewy and well-seasoned on the inside. The chicken was well-seasoned and moist. The cheese and veggies were just as essential as the meat. And the chipotle mayo married everything together. I would look forward to ordering this sandwich again.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2717031446910331/k2311a0317/3.17.11