St. Louis Bread Company Cuban Chicken Panini
  • The best part of a Panera sandwich (be it their signature, café or Panini) is the bread
  • I haven’t had much BBQ experience and “looking for the smoke ring” business, but this chicken has a smoked exterior
  • You can choose to omit this condiment, but I would recommend against
  • I like simple sandwiches without too much meat in them and a nice balance of meat and vegetables
  • In fact, I wished there was more of that delicious smoked chicken

• by carblover

This Panini brings two cultures together: italiano and cubano. This sandwich is served on focaccia Italian bread/flatbread) with Cuban-inspired fillings (smoked chicken, ham, pickles, mayo and Swiss). The best part of a Panera sandwich (be it their signature, café or Panini) is the bread. They specially make their bread from a special made starter that is supposedly more than 50 years old. Can you imagine the complexity of the taste profile that would give birth from that kind of microbial and

yeast activity?

The chicken in this Panini really tastes and looked smoked. I haven’t had much BBQ experience and “looking for the smoke ring” business, but this chicken has a smoked exterior. The taste is different than cooked chicken. The pinkness of the cured ham adds a nice salty and appearance contrast which complements well with the meaty chicken. The pickles are sweetly brined bread pickles; you can taste the syrupy spices. This is where the “sweet and salty” ...

• comes into play very nicely. The Swiss is nutty and mellow, even better in taste when melted. All these flavorful ingredients are melded together by the chipotle mayo, which is smoky and creamy. You can choose to omit this condiment, but I would recommend against. It really brings the sandwich together to make it unique and tasty. There is an additional flavor burst from another condiment – sun-dried tomato mustard. Not any ordinary mustard, mind you. It has
        sun-dried tomatoes in it! This is one Panini where “more is more” goodness.

I like simple sandwiches without too much meat in them and a nice balance of meat and vegetables. But I didn’t miss the veggies in this Panini at all. In fact, I wished there was more of that delicious smoked chicken. It was hot. It was creamy. It was hearty. It was overall delicious. I was sad when I finished it – I wish it had been bigger.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2717031446900331/k2311a0317/3.17.11