St. Louis Bread Company Smoked Ham and Swiss Cafe Sandwich  » Food  »
  • I love going to Panera ever since I diverged from my routine of ordering just their soup bowl
  • But after a year of this (yes, a year, I’m that boring), I started to wonder what the other delicious smells from Panera was coming from

• by carblover

This is a classic American sandwich – ham and cheese (on mayo). Except I’m kind of on a diet phase right now so no added fats for me. I love going to Panera ever since I diverged from my routine of ordering just their soup bowl.

I first heard that Panera had good affordable bakery bread. So I went there with the purposes of just ordering their sourdough soup bowl every time; I loved it! I didn’t bother looking at their other menu.

But after a year of this

(yes, a year, I’m that boring), I started to wonder what the other delicious smells from Panera was coming from. Then my eyes opened to their sandwich menu.

I started with one sandwich, and like that woman who decided to try every recipe in “The Art of French Cooking”, I ventured to try every menu item in “The Art of Panera Baking”. After a calorie-studded Holiday season behind me, I wanted to curb my calorie count to get my waist to what it was before.

The menu lists the calories of ...

• the sandwich and the Smoked Ham & Swiss seemed pretty harmless. Good thing is that I didn’t have to waste a breath telling them no mayo because it doesn’t come with it.

All the sandwiches come on bread that Panera baked that morning so you can imagine how good the sandwiches would taste with just the basic ingredient without the fancy schmancy spreads. The Smoked Ham & Swiss is one of those sandwiches – simple wholesome ingredients that together bring a whole new appreciation to a tired old classic.

The stone-milled rye bread

it comes on is packed with flavor and texture – great rye flavor with good texture differences between chew and crunch. The bread is a great almost grainy contrast to the meaty salty-sweetness of the ham and the mellow nuttiness of the Swiss cheese.

An almost other important ingredient is the tomato, which almost tasted tomato-ripened. The lettuce was green and the onions were sweet….

All components in itself was above par. Brought together, it made a wonderful nutritious sandwich.

This is one of those sandwiches that is fail-safe, like grilled cheese.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2717031446890331/k2311a0317/3.17.11