Canon Pixma MX340 All-In-One Printer
  • I have bought and used many different kinds of printers in the past, but to date my favourite still remains the Canon Pixma series
  • The MX340 cost me next to nothing for a printer (it cost $80) and though it was a Canon and I expected some very good results for the price, I also didn't expect it to have very good quality or any features to write home about
  • It has a lot of features, more than I thought it would have, and it also a very good quality printer
  • I have a windows 7 computer and two Macs in my house, so I decided to get the latest drivers for the printer off the net for each of the machines
  • All in all, I am very satisfied with the MX340, and I would happily recommend it to anyone who is in need of a cheap printer that delivers results

• by Sam Amulyoto

I go through a large number of printers in my line of work. I have bought and used many different kinds of printers in the past, but to date my favourite still remains the Canon Pixma series. I have owned the MX860 and MX850 version of this series, and I have recently come to acquire the MX340 too.

The MX340 cost me next to nothing for a printer (it cost $80) and though it was a Canon and I expected some very good results for the price, I also didn’t expect it to have very good quality or any features to write home about. However, I was very pleasantly to find that this printer actually does pack a punch. It has a lot of features, more than I thought it would have, and it also a very good quality printer.

This being a wireless printer, I though it would give me a headache trying

to set it up and connect it to my home wireless network because it was so cheap. I prepared myself for this. However, setting up the machine to work on my network turned out to be pretty straightforward. I have a windows 7 computer and two Macs in my house, so I decided to get the latest drivers for the printer off the net for each of the machines. The printer does come packaged with an installation disc, but I was concerned that their drivers might have been a bit old. I was able to get the latest drivers off Canon’s site in minutes, and within minutes I was ready to install the printer.

For the Mac computers, I found that it was a bit difficult to do the installation without the CD. I tried severally to do it the way you would on a windows machine, but I encountered several errors so I ...

• decided to find another way to install the drivers. After a bit of searching, I installed the IJ Network tool. I then used the MP Navigator software and the IJ Network tool to install the driver. This time round it was very easy, and I didn’t encounter any hitches from then on. For anyone willing to do the installation without the disc, I would suggest using this method. It is very easy and anyone can do it since the software gives on-screen directions.

This being a cheap printer, the text output was what I would describe as cheap laser, if not a little better. I found that the printer’s scanner was very fast for simple graphics and text. However, scanning high resolution photos was a bit slower than you would expect, though the resultant quality was slightly better than acceptable for me. Its photo printing function was better than what I had expected, though

the pictures still bled at the edges even when I used good quality paper.

I couldn’t find any difference in terms of function between the MX350 and the MX340 (both Canon Pixma printers) apart from the fact that the MX340 has no LCD screen. The worth of the LCD basically depends on how you intend to use the printer. For those planning to be connecting a camera directly to the printer, it would make sense to get the one with the LCD because it would make it much easier to find pictures on the camera through the LCD. Also, I found the MX350 (the one with the LCD) to be very good for less technical users since it gives on-screen instructions when faxing and scanning.

All in all, I am very satisfied with the MX340, and I would happily recommend it to anyone who is in need of a cheap printer that delivers results.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1617031446610331/k2311a0317/3.17.11