Breville BKC700XL Gourmet Coffee Maker  » Housewares  »
  • Normally, this process doesn't bother me if I don't have much to do, but when I'm in a bit of a rush (such as during working days), this presents a bit of a problem
  • I previously had a Senseo Gourmet coffee machine, and when I bought it I had hoped it would be fast and quiet and produce good coffee
  • I found it to be very noisy, the coffee tasted strange (like instant coffee) and the used pods produced were very messy
  • I wasn't able to measure how much time it took, but it was definitely much quicker than most other coffee makers I have used before
  • The coffee machine also has a timer which I thought was a very good features

• by Sam Amulyoto

Personally, I find it very difficult to find a cup of coffee that I would call decent in restaurants. I am very picky about coffee quality. If I am not going out for coffee and I need a cup, this usually means that I have to use my Cuisinart burr mill. However, this appliance is very noisy, and on more than one occasion I have woken up my family and a few neighbours due to the noise. Afterwards, I have to wait for a really long time for the Cuisinart coffee maker to brew several cups of coffee. Normally, this process doesn’t bother me if I don’t have much to do, but when I’m in a bit of a rush (such as during working days), this presents a bit of a problem. I am not a morning person, and I can’t wake up really early to make the coffee. I find it hard to wake up at the normal time, so waking up fifteen minutes earlier to brew coffee

is simply not feasible. As said, I am also very picky about my coffee so getting a cup at a gas station or fast food restaurant is also out of the question.

I previously had a Senseo Gourmet coffee machine, and when I bought it I had hoped it would be fast and quiet and produce good coffee. However, it failed on all these areas. I found it to be very noisy, the coffee tasted strange (like instant coffee) and the used pods produced were very messy. After this, I therefore decided to try using the Breville BKC700XL, and I hoped it would end all my coffee related problems. I figured that no coffee machine could be worse than the Senseo, so the only direction from the Senseo was up. The Breville also used K-Cups, which I found very impressive since they are easier to find compared to Tassimo discs. Also, the K-Cups have a wide range from Caribou coffee that you can choose from. I ordered different types of K-Cups before I got the Breville, which in hindsight was a good idea as mine didn’t come with the 18-cup sampler which was advertised.

When I unpackaged the coffee maker, the first thing that caught my eye was how nice it looked. It had an LCD screen which was white and had white back-lighting. It projected this semi retro look, and I doubt that it would look outdated in a kitchen in a few years time. I was also surprised by the coffee maker’s weight. The exterior is made of stainless steel which covers nearly the whole of the machine. It looks to be a virtually indestructible machine. At first glance, you could tell that you were getting a lot of good quality, and the extra money spent in getting this was well worth it.

Setting up the coffee maker was very straightforward for me. The product comes with an instruction manual that is very easy to follow and I was able to get it up and running ...

• Breville BKC700XL Gourmet Coffee Maker
      in less than ten minutes. It would take a much shorter time (around 5 minutes) to set it up without the water filter, since I found that it took quite a bit of time putting that in place. However, the one thing that really surprised me was how quiet the machine was. I had my own idea of how a quiet coffee maker would sound like, and this one was miles better than what I had imagined. It was much quieter than a regular coffee maker; when I was a few feet away from it I could hardly tell whether it was on or not. I couldn’t even hear when the water was boiling, the only audible indication that the coffee maker was operating was when I heard the coffee dripping into my cup.

One other pleasant thing I found out was that the coffee machine makes the coffee very quickly. I wasn’t able to measure how much time it took, but it was definitely much quicker than most

other coffee makers I have used before. The coffee tasted passable, when I used the ‘medium’ setting on the machine. However, when I used any other setting apart from this, I found that the coffee tasted very dilute, and even coffee that was flavoured ended up tasting like tea. However, when I used two K-Cups in a 12oz mug using the ’small’ setting, the coffee turned out fabulous.

The coffee machine also has a timer which I thought was a very good features. You can set it to automatically turn on and off, and it also has another feature that allows you to make the machine shut down after two hours. With all these features, I was able to have a cup of very good coffee in less than five minutes, and I never have to worry about wasting power or ruining the coffee maker.

By all accounts, this is the first kitchen appliance that I have been very excited about. I would definitely recommend it. It cost me $250 from Amazon.com

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5317031446590331/k2311a0317/3.17.11