Archos 7th Generation DVR Station
  • I had done a lot of research before I bought it, so I knew before I bought it that it didn't function very well as a DVR station in the sense of recording TV programs
  • One thing that I found to be a very nice surprise in the package was that it also came with a HD Cinema plug-in activation code
  • I was therefore a bit disappointed at first to find that it was actually included, but when I called their customer service to complain, they promptly refunded my purchase for the HD Cinema plug in
  • I found all this to be very convenient for me, which was why I bought the DVR station in the first place
  • The HD cinema plug in that was included made the experience really awesome

• by Sam Amulyoto

I recently bought myself a 7th generation Archos DVR station. I had done a lot of research before I bought it, so I knew before I bought it that it didn’t function very well as a DVR station in the sense of recording TV programs. However, I still bought it since I had intended to use it mostly as a docking station for my 500 GB Archos 5 internet tablet. Doing this would enable me to be able to play back HD video from the tablet onto a large screen TV, which was my main motive for buying it. In this respect, it didn’t disappoint me at all and I’m proud of my investment.

One thing that I found to be a very nice surprise in the package was that it also came with a HD Cinema plug-in activation code. This is basically a coded which enables the Archos 5 Internet Tablet to play back DVD files, i.e. MPEG2 or VOB video with AC3 audio. In this mode, you can also play the DVD file in surround sound, as

long as you use a SPDIF port. This plug in costs $40 when bought off the Archos website, which means that I effectively bought the DVR station at a 50% discount. I had bought the plug-in at the Archos website just a short while before I bought the DVR station, thinking that it wouldn’t be included. I was therefore a bit disappointed at first to find that it was actually included, but when I called their customer service to complain, they promptly refunded my purchase for the HD Cinema plug in. On this account, I would say that their customer service is really good.

I bought this device from Amazon, but I was a bit disappointed when I got the package since I found out that the description had been incorrect. The Amazon product description said (under the what’s in the box link) that the product came with the Hi-Def plug-in included. However, I found out that this was not correct. The said plug in is actually gotten (for free) when you register the device at the Archos website.

• Granted, it doesn’t seem to be such a big deal, but I hope the description has been corrected now. The Hi-Def Plug0in makes it possible for you to play video files of up to 720p. However, I found that it doesn’t work for files encoded in MPEG-2, which was a bit disappointing since this is a format that is common to many of my media files and nearly all DVD movies.

I had the HD Cinema plug-in installed and activated, and it is now possible for me to copy whole DVDs into my Archos 5’s memory. To play the DVD, I usually just click to open the first VOB file in the folder, which starts playing the movie. However, this only works for unprotected movies, and I have as yet not found a way to find an equivalent for protected movies. When the DVD starts playing, it is converted into 720p format and then sent to my wide-screen TV through the HDMI port. I found the video quality when playing the movies this way to be very good; it was

equivalent to using a DVD which up-converts media. However, unlike the DVD player, with this method I also have the added benefit of being capable of storing around 100 DVD-quality movies in the Archos 5’s internal hard drive. However, it takes around half an hour to copy just one disc into the Archos, so filling it up would take quite a bit of time and patience. However, even if the space were filled somehow, I can just attach a different hard drive to the USB port of the DVR Station and play more media from it. I found all this to be very convenient for me, which was why I bought the DVR station in the first place.

All in all, I found the Archos DVR station to be very good at playing back video onto the TV. The HD cinema plug in that was included made the experience really awesome; the picture quality was really good. However, as a DVR station I’m afraid to say the Archos fails pretty badly, and I would be very desperate before I used it as such.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1617031446580331/k2311a0317/3.17.11