TomTom XL350TM Portable GPS Navigator
  • My most favourite characteristic of the Tom Tom GPS unit is their minimalist approach when it comes to add on features that don't have anything to do with GPS
  • Map updates for my car's GPS are distributed via DVD and cost a hundred and fifty dollars a year, while for the Tom Tom, this is also included in the initial price and upgrades can be done online any time
  • I found it very easy to update the Tom Tom from the computer
  • Updates are available roughly every three months, and I like the way it makes it very easy to report map errors
  • However, when all is said an done, I found this device to be reliable and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a GPS units that's been stripped down, and one that doesn't cost a lot

• by Sam Amulyoto

For some reason, I go through a large number of GPS units, I seem to be obsessed by them. Recently, I tried using the Tom Tom XL 350TM, and I compared it to the GPS built in my car and also to the Garming and Motorola GPS systems that I have tried out before. I also happen to have GPS built into my Droid and iPhone, and I compared them to the Tom Tom .

My most favourite characteristic of the Tom Tom GPS unit is their minimalist approach when it comes to add on features that don’t have anything to do with GPS. For example, my Motorola GPS was capable of letting me read email and see weather forecasts. These are pretty nifty features generally speaking, but in all honesty, I never really did use the GPS to read my email when I had two phones both capable of accessing my email, and also a laptop. Personally, I don’t see the use of such features. I would much rather have a GPS that has been built well and can do what it’s meant to do, and I can forego all the other extras. This is the main reason why I really liked the Tom Tom; it only had what it needed, it was

easy to use and it was very well priced.

I also like the way that subscription for everything you need is included in the price of the Tom Tom, and you don’t have to keep paying anything regularly.

For example, the GPS in my car requires that I subscribe to XM traffic and I have to pay every month for it. This could work out to be quite a lot of money.

Map updates for my car’s GPS are distributed via DVD and cost a hundred and fifty dollars a year, while for the Tom Tom, this is also included in the initial price and upgrades can be done online any time.

I found it very easy to update the Tom Tom from the computer. Updates are available roughly every three months, and I like the way it makes it very easy to report map errors. This, in my opinion, makes the product more accurate over time.

I also tried out the XL340 from the same manufacturer, and I found them to be around the same size. The size of the 350TM and the way it’s designed to fold make it very easy to take it with you wherever you want to go. I found that it very easily fit into my jacket ...

• pocket. There are optional carrying cases for the devices, which makes it easier to carry them around if you travel a lot. I would say the build quality is average; it’s not very good though it’s good enough to last a while. I also found the display quality to be legible, though I found it a bit hard to read the screen in direct sunlight. Its audio quality was also very good. However, I found that it was a bit slow when it came to connecting to the satellites when I used to switch the device on the first time.

The GPS in my car is nearly instant, but I guess that’s because it has this long dedicated antenna. I have used several portable GPS systems, and I would say that when it comes to signal acquisition, the Tom Tom would be placed in the lower half of all the ones I have used.

Other than that, however, I find that the map quality and coverage offered by this device to be about similar to all the other units I have ever used before.

To be perfectly honest, the best GPS system I have used is the Google maps on my Droid phone since it is always up to date and it also

has satellite and street map view. Also, with the Droid it is easy to just Google destinations and get accurate directions, a feature that the Tom Tom lacks. However, I find the Tom Tom good enough most of the time, and the fact that it is self contained means that it can work anywhere, even where there’s no network coverage.

This GPS system also had a few other shortcomings, at least when I used it. For starters, I didn’t find the screen to be of high quality, and it took me a while to get used reading and using the touch screen. Also, it was far too simple; it was not possible fore me to store custom routes and preferences. Apart from that, I didn’t find the software to be very easy to use. For example, the preinstalled points of interest database looked very good, but I had a lot of trouble navigating the database. I therefore use Google to find what I want, then enter the address I get on google into the GPS to start navigation.

However, when all is said an done, I found this device to be reliable and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a GPS units that’s been stripped down, and one that doesn’t cost a lot.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1616031445460431/k2311a0316/3.16.11