Neverwhere (book) by Neil Gaiman  » Books  »
  • It always looked interesting, but like it might not live up to itself
  • I liked it because I like quirkiness, and I appreciated the author's imagination
  • It was full of delicious little concepts that really struck my fancy

• by Laura Gordon

I borrowed this book from a friend who received it as a gift, because I could never quite tell from the description on the back if it was worth buying or not. It always looked interesting, but like it might not live up to itself. Having read it, I can now say I would quite like it on my shelf. However, I cannot say the same for everyone. It was really a bit odd, and

I imagine a bit much for some (though the majority of people who have read it also seem to like it).

I liked it because I like quirkiness, and I appreciated the author’s imagination. He really had some neat ideas. But he also had some strange ones, and the book was, at times, a bit morbid.

But it is impossible to deny that this story was intriguing. It was full of delicious little concepts that really struck my ...

• fancy. I could look past the factors that I didn’t enjoy as much simply because I wanted to understand more about the world the author had created. It was based on some interesting stuff.

It follows the account of the people who have ‘fallen through the cracks’ of the world, so to speak. They coexist among us but are rather exempt from our notice and order and such. This means that they live all over the

place in the most intriguing nooks and crannies, and have their own sort of barbaric and random ways about them in the midst of their odd survival tactics.

This is modern-ish fantasy, given a more primitive feel because of the setting. It is 400 pages long, and suitable for young adults or adults. Some of the content is not all that pleasant, but overall th ebook is a pretty neat one. Certainly look into it if you want something unique!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1714031443820731/k2311a0314/3.14.11