Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Moisturizing Lotion  » Cosmetics  »
  • I have members in the family who work in the medical field, and I often don’t follow their suggestions on what are the best products for skincare
  • More frequent than not, I don’t have a problem with lotions triggering a skin allergy
  • But its respected lack of fragrance is definitely not the most palatable either
  • A large bottle is priced over 12 dollars, I believe

• by jhunie

I have members in the family who work in the medical field, and I often don’t follow their suggestions on what are the best products for skincare. I buy products on my own terms. But despite our clash of ideals, it’s worth listening sometimes. I was given a big bottle of Aveeno daily moisturizing lotion. The lotion had a weird quality – I thought, for the first time. I suppose Aveeno lotions are popular because they’re known to be highly tolerable for most skin types, particularly the sensitive ones. I did not intend to use it for that matter. Yet, that doesn’t rule out the possibility of me getting a reaction – it’s a rarity though. More frequent than not, I don’t have a problem with lotions triggering a skin allergy.

A time came at last that put the product to the test: I developed itchy, red rashes on the sides of the arms. Of course, I deemed it was not the best intervention to apply Aveeno lotion straight up, when the rashes were still very irritated. I treated the rashes by putting a corticosteroid cream, and that somehow stopped the irritation and itch. The

aftermath of that was an awfully dry patch of skin, which prompted me to use the Aveeno lotion, upon knowing that it was milder than other non-organic lotions. I was scared to apply anything apart from the corticosteroid cream. In the end, the lotion cured the scaly damage left by the allergy. My skin neutralized in a matter of days.

Since I shifted to Aveeno, it took a bit of time for me to adjust to its consistency. Aveeno’s formula is unique, and so is the thickness of the lotion. It has a glutinous consistency. The lotion feels very thick, almost resembling petroleum jelly. It is stated on the bottle that the lotion is in colloidal form, and colloids are normally very gluey. But it’s actually not greasy on skin. However, I tend to dispense more of the lotion, as a small dime size could only cover a limited area. I find the cream doesn’t spread that much compared to watery lotions.

I gather that the lotion doesn’t have a clichéd smoothing texture. No fake silky, dewy layer coats the surface of the skin. Except that I note a waxy feeling sometimes to the areas ...

• I had spread the lotion. I can’t quite explain how that feels, but I’m sure that there’s a difference between the lotion’s texture and the feel of my own naked skin. I have a wee bit of contempt towards the texture. It’s just not as smooth as I would have desired.

The product promises to retain the moisture for as long as 24 hours. Well it’s certainly more hydrating than my regular milk lotion. I have this spongy appearance on my thighs, I say it’s more about the superficial look of the skin and not so much on the texture that continues to persist even with ample moisturization (I never miss a day of putting lotion). Dove’s moisturizing bar didn’t fix it, as well as my regular lotion. Since using Aveeno, it’s been improving, though it certainly comes back if I forget to moisturize. I strongly feel that the moisture contributed by Aveeno lasts longer than a milk lotion. My elbows feel moisturized also. If I slather thick body butters to moisturize my skin before bedtime, the lotion does that for me during daytime. The lotion is equally rich as a moisturizer.

Its ability to moisturize

is superb. No doubt. But its respected lack of fragrance is definitely not the most palatable either. Why does it smell like glue? Aveeno’s formula is non-scented; it doesn’t contain any fragrance. It doesn’t mean though that the lotion literally gives off no scent. I can still smell that organic scent of cooking oatmeal, or something. I’m not referring to the sour smell of glue, but there’s something about it that smells of adhesive (probably saliva). I don’t like to spread the lotion on my hands because of that suppressed smell. After a while, the smell vanishes on the skin.

Switching to a gentle anti-allergy formula over more commercial moisturizers had its own trade-offs. Aveeno is a sensible choice to people who care a lot about keeping skin healthy, and most practically, for those prone to allergies. I will keep a bottle of this lotion on hand. My problem is the limited availability of this lotion. A large bottle is priced over 12 dollars, I believe. I might have to get one from ebay the next time. Amidst the slew of indulgent lotions and moisturizers, there’s always an Aveeno lotion for everyone.

Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Moisturizing Lotion

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3111031442930231/k2311a0311/3.11.11