The Legend of Zorro 2005 (movie)  » Movies  »
2.5
  • At least Zorro and his lovely lady stayed together through their marital problems, but that in itself was another aspect of the movie that I thought they could just really do without
  • The only thing that really saves it is imagining it as a move in and of itself, unrelated to the first - and then it's okay, I suppose, but (in my opinion) still rather weak

• by Laura Gordon

As someone who loved the original, The Legend of Zorro was a hugely disappointing sequel. The scenery was still beautiful and I still liked the main actors, and the humor still made me laugh, but the magic was lost. The dignity of the first was abandoned in the cheeky, more slap-stick-like humor – and, like I said, while I laughed, it was because that particular thing might have stricken my

funny bone, but it did not add to the move or the nature it ought to have lived up to. They focused too much on making this movie funny, which meant putting in little nuances that were completely unrealistic, and it just bombed and robbed the film of the expected sophistication.

I did appreciated that they kept the same actors for the roles (I hate it when they replace a known character with a new actor) and that the majority of the new characters were at least quality actors. I also appreciated that it had a good ending. The plot was so-so, and the excitement was decent, but all in all they really took away from the original with this. Leave good originals alone unless you can do justice to a sequel! I hate that they would throw a sequel ...

• The Legend of Zorro 2005 (movie)
      together just because they know they can make money off of it. The first was such a quality movie, and they took advantage of the fact that people would go to see the second simply because they automatically grouped it with the first.

All in all, not the worst movie I’ve ever seen, and there were certainly good aspects, but they should have left the first one alone. At least

Zorro and his lovely lady stayed together through their marital problems, but that in itself was another aspect of the movie that I thought they could just really do without.

See it if you must, but don’t hold out expectations. The only thing that really saves it is imagining it as a move in and of itself, unrelated to the first - and then it’s okay, I suppose, but (in my opinion) still rather weak.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1110031441740431/k2311a0310/3.10.11