Mycostatin Nystatin Lozenge prescription antifungal/oral  » Medicine  »
  • The other infections cleared up pretty quickly with treatment, but a month after I thought I was finished with the ordeal, I started to get a sore throat
  • Unfortunately, this is the only way they work

• by reviewabit

When I had an emergency gallbladder operation, I had to be on very strong antibiotics for a long time. Due to this, my immune system took quite a hit, and I suffered from a yeast infection basically all over. I had to be treated for vaginal, anal, and oral yeast infection. It was a nightmare.

The other infections cleared up pretty quickly with treatment, but a month after I thought I was finished with the ordeal, I started to get a sore throat. By the next morning, my tongue and mouth was covered in thrush, which is basically an oral yeast infection. This was a delayed result of all

the antibiotics.

My doctor, in deep sympathy for all I had been through already, quickly prescribed a medication to help get rid of it. It was Mycostatin lozenges. At first, I was not sure if I should thank him or scream at him.

These lozenges tasted absolutely horrible. They were bitter, but with some sweetener added, which did not help one bit, it just made them seem even more bitter. I felt nauseous every time I had to take one, and I was not to chew or break them, but let them dissolve as slowly as possible in my mouth, and swallow the saliva.

This was difficult. My ...

• mouth already felt like a cotton ball was stuck to my tongue, I felt and looked disgusting and the last thing I needed was a nasty tasting bitter thing to dissolve slowly. Unfortunately, this is the only way they work.

A few days into using the lozenges, the initial nausea I got from the taste of them started to carry over for several hours. It was the medication itself that was causing some stomach upset. I called to complain and ask if anything would stop this, but I was told to basically try to tough it out, and that I might get acclimated to it and it would

go away on its own.

It didn’t. My stomach burned and I felt sick the whole time I was on them, which was at least six weeks. Eventually, the white fluff in my mouth started to clear up, leaving behind very sore patches, which were even more sensitive to the nystatin lozenge– but soon they too started to recede.

As I finished the last of the lozenges, my mouth and tongue now healed, I breathed a huge sigh of relief. Yes, this product works. It works well, and it’s probably the very best treatment for the condition… but it is NOT pleasant.

My recommendation concerning the product– just don’t get thrush!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 268031440410831/k2311a038/3.8.11