Walt Disney World’s Typhoon Lagoon  » Entertainment  »
Typhoon Lagoon Access Road Orlando, FL 32836
  • Typhoon Lagoon is a water park that takes an interesting theme and turns it into something that will always be remembered, because you walk into it and remain in the theme of a Florida paradise the whole time you’re there
  • What I like about this water park is that its theme not only surrounds the park but the slides as well
  • I would most definitely recommend it to anyone traveling with their families
  • First time I saw it, as a child, I thought my father was insane when he said he wanted to go on it
  • I can speak from experience because it pushed me backwards about 5 feet

• by sarahdragon26

When it comes to water parks in the state of Florida, there are few that can compare to the Disney water parks at Walt Disney World. From Typhoon Lagoon to Blizzard Beach, each one has a theme behind it to make it not just a water park but an adventure in its self. Typhoon Lagoon is my absolute favorite water park that I have ever been to in my life and I have a feeling it will continue to be that for most of my life, as long as it remains open.

Typhoon Lagoon is a water park that takes an interesting theme and turns it into something that will always be remembered, because you walk into it and remain in the theme of a Florida paradise the whole time you’re there. For an example, the tug-boat that is stranded on top of the mountain was stranded there during a fictional typhoon that hit the coast of Florida and when the storm was over, that’s where the tug-boat found itself. The boat is called Miss Tilly and it shoots water out of its top every 15 to 20 minutes. I remember hearing the horn go off and moving to where I could see the boat and watch the water. I seem to do that every time I’m there.

There are several water slides and things to do and I will be the first to admit that you can’t change a slide from its basic design of being a slide, but Typhoon Lagoon has some very fun ones from just regular slides to tube slides. What I like about this water park is that its theme not only surrounds the park

but the slides as well. As you’re sliding down the mountain, you can go through jungle areas or under waterfalls. I liked most of them, but my favorite is the family or group tube ride. Maybe 4 to 5 people can sit in the large tube together as you go through a rapids style slide, with the tube turning in a circle the whole time. I would most definitely recommend it to anyone traveling with their families. And the one slide I will never do, not even in a million years, is the Humunga Kowabunga. First time I saw it, as a child, I thought my father was insane when he said he wanted to go on it. You’re given pretty strict instructions on what you’re supposed to do, but anything that goes straight down like it, I feel a lot safer if I was strapped into something. I watched my dad go down the slide and it seemed like he was in a free fall. People love it, but only if you’re into that kind of thing. But the one place I always head to first is the Castaway Creek, a lazy river. It normally fills up quickly as the day goes on, but it’s very relaxing during the morning hours, before lunch time.

There is another area called Shark’s Reef that can be popular with certain crowds. It’s a real reef placed in a special seawater enclosure that has real ocean fish as well as small sharks. I remember standing behind my family as they went to get in the water. I wasn’t that brave. I saw sharks in the water and washed my hands of the place.

• The cast member gave everyone instructions about staying on the surface of the water and if anything touches you, don’t freak out. Normally, this is place I skip past, for obvious reasons, but I will always remember it because of what happened to my dad. There is a small island in the middle where someone could stop and fix they’ll masks and it won’t disturb the fish. When my dad got out, the whole bottom of his foot was cut open, but he didn’t feel it in the salt water. We had to go the hospital and everything in between. From guest relations, to management. It was a pretty bad trip, that one time.

The Wave Pool is the one place that is always packed with people, but it is also a fairly large pool. The waves created in this pool are the world’s largest artificially created waves, or at least that what my fellow cast members had told me in the past while I was working there. Who knows if that’s still true now. Every 90 seconds a new wave starts, but what is really cool, is that you can actually hear the air cannons that created the wave at the front of the wall, even if you’re standing at the very end of the pool. You’re not allowed up at the very front, thou. For obvious safety reasons. I would recommend trying the pool, but be prepared for the power of the wave. It will knock you over and throw you around. I have had people fly into me and one guy landed on top of me. You have to be a very strong swimmer and not panic when

that happens. Another thing you shouldn’t do is sit at the back of the wave pool, but still in the water. The wave, thou very very small when it reaches the end of the pool, still has the power to force a person backwards. I can speak from experience because it pushed me backwards about 5 feet. And the bottom of the pool is not smooth, but very rough. The backs of my legs were very raw for the rest of the day, from being pushed against the bottom.

I would highly recommend getting a locker. Yes, you will have to pay for it, but in the end it will be worth it. You won’t have to carry anything around with you and it gives you a piece of mind. I would not recommend leaving your things next to the lawn chairs by the Wave Pool because there are tons of people who go through there and you never know who could take your things or go through them.

Now that I’m a mom, I plan on taking my son there when he gets older and a little better at swimming. The kid’s area will be our first stop thou. I do like that there is an age-limit in such places, that only children of certain ages are supposed to be swimming there, even if some parents ignore that rule.

More than anything, this is a place to have fun. Even if you want the free fall slide or the reef with sharks, or just want to try the slides and relax in the lazy river, it’s a great place to laugh, have fun, and scream when you’re sliding into the water.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 594031438340231/k2311a034/3.4.11