Uncle Ben’s Bistro Express Indian Style Curry with Basmati Rice
  • It was all steamy and when she put it in to a bowl it looked like the best rice dish I had ever seen
  • I thought I was simply buying flavored rice with some vegetables but this Uncle Ben's Express product was selling itself as Indian Style Curry with Basmati Rice
  • First of all, I found it took nearly four minutes to cook the rice and when I poured it into a bowl it came out of the envelope in chunks

• by Melissa Glenn

I am a huge rice fan, and in the past I have bought many Uncle Ben’s products, including rice ones. Recently on the television I kept seeing the commercials for the Bistro Express Indian Style Curry with Basmati Rice and I have to admit it looked really tempting. The commercials showed this woman pulling a package of this rice out of the microwave and opening it. It was all steamy and when she put it in to a bowl it looked like the best rice dish I had ever seen. Finally I went to my supermarket and found this product on a promotion sale for just $2.99CDN.

This

Uncle Ben’s Bistro Express product came in a 240 gram orange envelope. The rice felt hard through this orange envelope and although it did not say anywhere on the package that it had been freeze dried I had to assume that it had. The blue lettering on the front of the packaging said that this was an Express package and that this envelope would only take two minutes to cook within the microwave.

The front was quite attractive, showing bright yellow rice with big green peas. I was a bit puzzled about the name; I thought I was simply buying flavored rice with some vegetables but this Uncle ...

• Ben’s Express product was selling itself as Indian Style Curry with Basmati Rice. Either way, I decide to give it a try. The directions on the back of the envelope were simple and easy to follow; just rip open the envelope, cook for two minutes on high and enjoy!

This product to me is absolutely disgusting. First of all, I found it took nearly four minutes to cook the rice and when I poured it into a bowl it came out of the envelope in chunks. I broke up the chunks and found that a lot of the rice was still quite hard, so I had to re-microwave

for another minute. Even then with the chunks gone, the rice was still extremely chewy and made me think of long grain rice that had not been fully cooked.

The flavor was the worst part; this was simply a rice. Why Uncle Ben’s decided to call this a curry is beyond me. The only curry evidence was the strong taste of fake curry powder over white rice with a few dried out peas. This product tasted disgusting to me, my family would not eat it and neither would the dog. I don’t know what Uncle Ben’s were thinking but this Bistro Express Indian Style Curry with Basmati Rice is a joke!

Andres says :

Does anyone know the name of the song that plays in the 2011 commercial for Uncle Ben`s Express. It`s a soft melody with flutes and a drumline

quick note by anonymous :

i would really not reccoment the medium curry it made me ill for dayzz man

Joanna says :

I am sorry that you got sick. The curry is very strong and I don’t think its a flavor that all would enjoy. I like it every now and then, but more than that and it gives me tremendous heart burn.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 273031438091231/k2311a033/3.3.11