Holiday Inn Express
2.0
6569 Clay Ave, Grand Rapids, MI
  • My husband enjoyed an early morning breakfast while watching a little TV and reading the newspaper, so that part of our stay was nice
  • One thing I found disappointing about the hotel was that it stated on the description that it had an arcade, when in fact, it didn’t
  • My son was a bit disappointed in this fact since he enjoys playing arcade games
  • I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who has kids over the age of 6
  • There are better places out there to stay, even if they cost a bit more

• by kaygen

Holiday Inn Express in Grand Rapids, MI offers an indoor water park, which is what attracted us initially to the hotel. We were planning to take a short trip for my son’s birthday, and we didn’t want to spend a large amount of money. The Holiday Inn Express seemed like a good solution, since it had a water park, but was also less expensive than other hotels with water parks, and it was fairly close to home.

I booked a room with a king bed and a fold-out sofa, where my son would sleep. The rate was $105 per night, and that included waterpark passes as well. I thought that was a pretty good deal. Once we got to the hotel, however, I was surprised to see that the “water park” was not quite what I expected. I mean, I wasn’t expecting it to be as deluxe as Great Wolf Lodge,

but it was pretty small. There was just one big water slide, and the other areas were just very shallow pools that were more appropriate for toddlers than older kids. The entire water park area also looked dingy and worn-down, like it was in need of upgrading.

Onto our room - the room was rather small, but I did like that it had a mini refrigerator and a microwave. There was adequate sleeping space for a small family like ours. The pillows were not comfortable, but that is pretty typical of most hotels I have stayed at. The room was clean overall, and our stay in it was okay.

A nice feature about the hotel was the breakfast that they have available each morning. They have a breakfast/dining area in the lobby that has a breakfast buffet, as well as a sitting area with a fireplace and TV. My husband ...

• enjoyed an early morning breakfast while watching a little TV and reading the newspaper, so that part of our stay was nice.

One thing I found disappointing about the hotel was that it stated on the description that it had an arcade, when in fact, it didn’t . My son was a bit disappointed in this fact since he enjoys playing arcade games. The hotel should change that on their online description, since it is inaccurate.

Another thing that we found strange about this hotel was that they charged a security deposit of $100. They took this off our credit card, and then after we checked out, it took over a week to get reimbursed the $100. Even when we asked about it, we got conflicting answers from the staff at the hotel. Eventually we did get the $100 back, but it was a bit of a hassle and I wish someone would have

told us about it before we went so we could have just brought cash and then got paid back at the end of our stay.

So, for us, this hotel was not the greatest, and it just didn’t live up to other places we have been. Yes, my son did like the water slide, but it’s more aimed at younger children, and he got sick of it after about an hour.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who has kids over the age of 6. There are better places out there to stay, even if they cost a bit more. With this hotel, you get what you pay for. If you are looking at price only, this one would be an option, but if you are looking for high quality, and a comfortable place with numerous ammenities, try a Great Wolf Lodge or another water park instead. This one just doesn’t measure up.

Holiday Inn Express

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 23031437761231/k2311a033/3.3.11