“Phone” Movie 2004 from Tartan Asia Extreme  » Movies  »
  • I had enjoyed foreign films in the past, and always found Asian horror to be different and interesting
  • I wondered at first if the slightly slow start was going to reveal a boring movie– but it picked up immediately
  • I would recommend this for horror fans who are not expecting the world, but something better than a lot of the poorly acted trash stories out there

• by reviewabit

I rented this movie from Netflix because I had pretty much seen all the other horror ones on my list and had become bored waiting for new ones to come out. I had enjoyed foreign films in the past, and always found Asian horror to be different and interesting. Like any film genre, there is good and bad in terms of quality. When this one started out, an announcement came across the screen that it was from “Toilet Films” which nearly made me spit out my drink in laughter.

I sincerely hoped that this was not an indication of the quality of the

film making!

Fortunately, it was not. This film was actually quite good. Any fan of horror knows the typical Asian ghost with the long black hair, and yes, there is one in this film too.

There almost has to be, doesn’t there? In this case, she didn’t exactly fit the plot of the movie, but she made her token appearance anyway. I didn’t mind reading the subtitles in this one. They were easy to follow.

The actors gave good performances, very convincing– especially the child actor who played the young girl supposedly possessed. She was rather remarkable considering her age. The story is not terribly original, but then there are only so many plots in the horror genre.

This was a “vengeful ghost” one, very common in Asian stories. The pace of the movie was just about right. I wondered at first if the slightly slow start was going to reveal a boring movie– but it picked up immediately.

I do think it may have been stretched out a bit, as most of the opening scenes didn’t really lend too much to the background story, they were for looks or effects. There were a few scary scenes, in a very Asian-white-ghost-with-long-hair kind of ...

• “Phone” Movie 2004 from Tartan Asia Extreme
      way. It was not a movie that will terrify you or keep you up at night– just a sad love gone wrong story with a little twist at the end that was not unexpected, but satisfying nonetheless.

The story is told in bits and pieces, with multiple flashbacks and unexplained details that will surface later. This puts it head and shoulders above many films already. I have to say, I do think the Asian films– even the not so great ones– tend to have better story lines than many of the American horror films these days.

Perhaps America has caught onto this,

since we keep remaking the Asian films! I don’t know if they will re-do this one or not, but I doubt it will be any better in the translation. There were a few holes in the story that never were explained, and there is probably room in there for a sequel. And of course there was water, and handfuls of long black hair, which never really made any sense, but it has become a point of laughter for me when watching these films.

I would recommend this for horror fans who are not expecting the world, but something better than a lot of the poorly acted trash stories out there.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112031437610131/k2311a032/3.2.11