Jaguar XJS Jumping Saddle  » Sport  »
2.0
  • When I bought this saddle, I knew very little about them, and horses in general
  • Thankfully, with more experience under my belt, I am now able to diagnose what is wrong with it so I know what to look for in a new saddle
  • I think it is very unfortuate that such a beautiful and expensive saddle would turn in to such a problem for me and my horse

• by tiercel

When I bought this saddle, I knew very little about them, and horses in general. My trainer found a used Jaguar XJS and told me to buy it, so I did. And why not? It looked great, it was made from dark, high quality Paris leather. After becoming more and more experienced, I grew to dislike the saddle, and so did my horse. Thankfully, with more experience under my belt, I am now able to diagnose what is wrong with it so I know what to look for in a new saddle.

Its first flaw is its flap length. At only

13 inches from the stirrup bar to the edge of the flap, it is too short for most (even me, and I’m only 5′4). While jumping, this is no good. It is also makes the saddle hard to sell, because nobody wants to buy a saddle with such short flaps.

My horse hates the XJS because it doesn’t fit him properly. This is not because my trainer has no idea what she’s doing (the saddle is the right size for his withers) it’s because of the saddle’s structure. It makes him feel extremely uncomfortable, pinching his withers in the wrong ...

• places. This has caused him to become a very difficult horse to tack up. He now lays his ears flat at the sight of me carrying a saddle. He also bites at me as I’m doing up the girth. I can’t trust others to do this, for he has simply become too much of a brat while tacking up for those unaccustomed to him to deal with.

The XJS gives me a lot of trouble whlie riding as well. It doesn’t fit my horse’s withers, and so it is always sliding far back behind his shoulders, where it should not be.

This makes for an uncomfortable ride, for both me and my mount. This impacts our performance, as well as our bond, negatively. We are both uncomfortable to a great extent, but are both being pushed by our trainer to do more and more. I have tried different saddle pads to try to stop this from happening, but my attempts to fix it always fail. The only solution is to use a different saddle.

I think it is very unfortuate that such a beautiful and expensive saddle would turn in to such a problem for me and my horse. I regret buying it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3527021435500528/k2311a0227/2.27.11