Voila Cheesy Ranch Chicken Dinner
  • The sauce is nice and thick and creamy, but I noticed a slight bitter taste
  • And there is supposed to be real cheddar cheese which I found their use of cheese to be weak

• by lisastar

I never really liked vegetables all that much except for salads of course. But I saw this Voila Cheesy Ranch Chicken Dinner in the Bird’s Eye Frozen vegetables section and couldn’t resist trying it out.

This product is a full dinner all in one package. And I was really surprised to see large chucks of chicken and large pieces of vegetable mixed with full sized pasta. The sauce was even in a separate package frozen into a block instead of being pre- mixed already throughout the whole

dinner. And the package instructs to throw the entire frozen ingredients, placing the sauce cube on top of the chicken, vegetable mixture, into a saucepan and cook for ten minutes, that’s it. The sauce is nice and thick and creamy, but I noticed a slight bitter taste.

And there is supposed to be real cheddar cheese which I found their use of cheese to be weak. So I ended up throwing in a cup of shredded cheese and a couple handfuls of cheese flavored croutons on ...

• top to jazz the taste up a bit. A couple squirts of hot sauce might be a good idea if you like spicy meals like I do.

Overall, the product is more of a base meal with all the food groups portioned out carefully with a fairly good base sauce. Of course the portion size is way too small at only one cup per serving, but I added a side salad and a dinner roll to even the portion quantity. And I even added a side dish

of chocolate cake that totally ruined the low 210 calorie benefit of this dinner.

I just love how easy I can prepare on the go lunches right before taking off to work. I just add the ingredients in a sauce pan, add a little spice, finish getting ready for work, fill a Tupperware bowl with a nice hot lunch and go. Really, paying $3.99 for 22 ounces of a hot, healthy lunch is a whole lot better than spending the same amount at a fast food rive thru.

Jo says :

Large chunks of chicken? I agree but not when there’s 5 in a bag (and a large chunk is considered a tablespoon). The sauce was disgusting. I had to keep adding water because of the cornstarchy consistency (not saying there’s corn starch in it but most cooks know what consistency I’m talking about). I did have a few big chucks of broccoli and thick slices of carrots. Other than that, lots lots of pasta. Buy the vegies yourself, a box of pasta lasts several meals, get a jar of cheap alredo and spice it up with your own spices.

Bottom line, yuck….waste of time.

Joanna says :

I have found that when I buy a product like this I always need to add a little extra vegetables and chicken. Not a lot, but adding some of my own ingredients helps to give it a more home cooked flavor, plus makes it more filling.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2727021435000428/k2311a0227/2.27.11