The Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens, Tasmania, Australia  » Travel  »
The Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens, Queens Domain, Hobart, Tasmania, 7000, Australia
  • Given the opportunity to come and visit Hobart, Tasmania again, I would definitely have the gardens the number one priority to see

• by Ninrec

Just a few months ago, I had a most wonderful day spent roaming one of the most beautiful gardens I have ever seen. From our hotel at Hobart, it took us just a few minutes to the garden’s very exquisite and massive gate.

After a leisurely lunch, we were at the garden shortly after 2 pm. But the sun didn’t bother us since the garden is full of magnificent trees that give such much welcomed shades. Since we parked at the Domain Highway entrance, the Japanese Garden is the nearest. I fell in love with the lovely bridge. However, the cherry blossoms were not in bloom because it was August, winter

time. But I still love the bare branches of the trees.

I took a lot of photos of the Lily Pond, with some ducks swimming leisurely. I wanted to have a shot of myself on the bridge but I couldn’t find the path going to the spot. As we strolled along the other parts of the garden, my attention was caught by photographs of Botanical Explorers who are highly esteemed by the people. I have learned something about these explorers like Backhouse, Hooker, Rodway, Curtis and Morris. As we walked along, we saw some markers and some names of people wherein the plants or trees are named after. In fact, we ...

• passed by a tree with a mark “In Memory of David Chapman” who must be somebody with regards to the field of botany.

One thing I appreciate in the garden is information. For instance, in the Rain Garden, I have learned how it works since it is explained explicitly in a large marker.

However, the Floral Clock was so drab since the plants were flowerless and leafless. But the Cactus House is a winner. It was there that I have seen the vastest collection of cacti coming from all parts of the world. But the most beautiful collection of flowering orchids was in the Conservatory, behind the Syme Memorial Fountain. Inside the

Conservatory were different flowering plants the names of which I could not remember. But the orchids, lovely and regal were stand-outs.

It is in this garden that I have seen so many lovely trees, some of which are living for over a hundred years. For nature and garden lovers, the Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens is a place one shouldn’t miss visiting. Because of its beauty the garden is also a popular place for events like concerts, weddings, or other private functions.

Given the opportunity to come and visit Hobart, Tasmania again, I would definitely have the gardens the number one priority to see. It is a “must see” to nature and plant lovers.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3827021434880428/k2311a0227/2.27.11