Panera Asiago Roast Beef Signature Sandwich
  • I have never had a truly delicious roast beef sandwich
  • As for me, roast beef reminds me of my only roast beef sandwich experience… at Subway
  • Unfortunately, the day I went to Panera, it was extremely busy and they were out of the asiago cheese demi (boo-hoo)

• by carblover

I have never had a truly delicious roast beef sandwich. When you say roast beef sandwich to other people, their mouths start to water like Pavlov’s dog; obviously, those people has had good roast beef in their day. As for me, roast beef reminds me of my only roast beef sandwich experience… at Subway. There, they lay down a single file of tasteless, almost dry deli roast beef that has been sitting out

exposed to air for who know how long. While it was palatable, it was hardly worth salivating over.

Panera offers a roast beef sandwich with cheddar cheese with the customary vegetables on their homemade asiago cheese demi and a special horseradish sauce. I have heard the beef and horseradish go well together but I hadn’t tried it until now. Unfortunately, the day I went to Panera, it was extremely busy and they ...

• were out of the asiago cheese demi (boo-hoo). I substituted the ciabatta instead (had no choice, really).

Let me tell you, the combination of roast beef and horseradish sauce was pretty good. I never had horseradish sauce before – I expected it to be acerbic to the nose, giving you a spicy nose freeze. But, no, this horseradish sauce was mildly spicy and just the right amount of creaminess to counter the low-fat roast

beef, which was tender on its own but not so flavorful without the sauce. The cheese was good and tangy and the veggies were fresh and crisp; they offered nice textural differences and taste. One regretful thing is that I feel the asiago cheese demi may have been a flavor vehicle for the sandwich than the ciabatta. It was a delicious sandwich, but I must try again as it was originally inspired by Panera.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2727021434820428/k2311a0227/2.27.11