Olay Total Effects Moisturizer with SPF15
  • They were by and large all very good, but cost a huge amount of money
  • I noticed the protection when I went outside
  • I know that some of the Olay lotions do have a very light fragrance, but not this one
  • I love the lotion, I love the benefits, my skin feels better and looks better, and it is significantly cheaper than the department store creams and lotions
  • The cardboard and plastic display cover is a complete waste, and I think there must be a better design for the container that uses less plastic than the current design

• by gecko

For years I used to use really, really expensive creams and lotions bought from the department store. They were by and large all very good, but cost a huge amount of money. I kept seeing adverts and articles for Olay products with claims that they were just as good if not better than the expensive creams and lotions, but for ages, I ignored what was staring at me in the face.

One day, a few years ago, I couldn’t find the cream I wanted in the department store. The next time I was buying groceries, I picked up the Olay Total Effects Facial Moisturizer with SPF15 protection. At the time, I did this in order to have something that would tide me over until I could buy the cream that I was used to, when I could find it.

Almost

from first use, I knew I had switched permanently. This was a lotion that was extremely light and non-greasy, went on easily and absorbed into my face without fuss. My face felt soft and calm after using this. There was no irritation and no residue.

I noticed the protection when I went outside. Even after spending time in the sun and pretty harsh heat, my face felt protected. It did not dry out, and it did not take on any color from the sun. So far so good.

After a few days of use, I noticed that my skin had no adverse reactions at all. I did not break out at all, nor did I have any redness or irritation.

The lotion itself is fragrance free. I know that some of the Olay lotions do have a ...

• very light fragrance, but not this one. Also, a little goes a long way. Every morning, I only need less than a pea sized amount of lotion to cover my entire face and neck. This means that the container of lotion tends to last a long time.

For me, this is a no brainer. I love the lotion, I love the benefits, my skin feels better and looks better, and it is significantly cheaper than the department store creams and lotions.

Are there cheaper lotions out there? Definitely, this one runs at between $18 and $20 depending on where you buy it, and you can at the end of the day pay under $5 for a lotion. I have no idea whether they are any better or worse, but I do know that all of the claims that

Olay are just as good as expensive lotions, I agree with.

If I had one complaint to make, it is about the packaging. The tub of cream is quite small and has a huge plastic mechanism to pump up the cream to the nozzle. Added to this, the tub then comes in a giant cardboard and plastic display cover that to me serves no purpose at all. I do think everyone should be trying to be more environmentally friendly, and so find Olay’s packaging unnecessary and environmentally very unfriendly. The cardboard and plastic display cover is a complete waste, and I think there must be a better design for the container that uses less plastic than the current design.

So whilst the product is fantastic, I am knocking off one point for the excessive and wasteful packaging. Please do better Olay!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3127021434710428/k2311a0227/2.27.11