Mews Tavern  » Restaurants  »
456 Main St. Wakefield, RI 02879 401-783-9370 newstavern.com
  • I found it overwhelming and it took a while for me to process

• by allynn grantham

Today when I visited my son at college, we took him and his friends out to lunch. This was my first visit to the Mews Tavern. I went during lunch and the restaurant was relatively quiet (Tuesday afternoon). Although I was not greeted promptly, I was greeted by a friendly and well dressed hostess. We were seated in the dining area. There is a separate bar above the restaurant. The dining area was fun, campy and wide open. In the middle was a huge tree with art, writing and

sayings on it. The place was a blend between a college hangout, hunting lodge and an upscale casual restaurant. It was very quirky. The menu was very large and a bit overwhelmeing. There were three menus–one for drinks, one for food and one for BEER!

There was a lot to process and go through. One thing is for sure–if you are a BEER drinke–this is the place for you. There were 69 beers on draft and the flavors ranged from a chocolate stout, traditinal ales to fruity combinations. I loved that the ...

• focus was on local brewers with many varieties coming from New England. I also loved the idea of a Rack of Draughts where you could choose a combinationation of any four ice cold beer samples. With the four of us, that was 16 different types. I was a big fan of the Newport Storm Rhode Island Blueberry.

For food, you could get salads to Mexican to Pizza. Although I was excited about the detailed beer menu, I was not as excited with the large food menu. I found it overwhelming and it

took a while for me to process. We started with the Moocho Nacho Carne. It was all fresh and they used REAL cheese. All the meals were fresh, hot and very tasty. The high light was the Guineness beef stew, which was out of this world!

We didn’t have room for dessert, but the Mudd Pie with coffee ice cream is what I will try when I’m in this neck ofthe woods again. If you are ever in Southern Rhode Island, make this your stop. It is diffenately worth the trip.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 725021434050128/k2311a0225/2.25.11