Dr. Wieder’s Original Tung Brush  » Health  »
  • It was new and different, and I had not been very impressed with the results of tongue scrapers, which were also a bit gross
  • When I bought my brush, I considered trying the Tung gel that is made for it, but in the end, I decided to stick with my own toothpaste, because I am very sensitive to strong mint flavors, and I did not want my tongue to get sore
  • I would definitely recommend this product to anyone who is concerned about bad breath– that is where you will really see the difference

• by reviewabit

When I first saw the Tung brush, I was curious. I had been just using my toothbrush to clean my tongue, but it gagged me, and seemed a bit gross anyway. The Tung brush is supposed to get your tongue a lot cleaner, and get into the crevices where “bacteria hide. ” I was not sure how it would get any deeper than a toothbrush does, but I was willing to give it a try.

It was new and different, and I had not been very impressed with the results of tongue scrapers, which were also a bit gross. The Tung brush simply looks like a toothbrush with shorter bristles, and a large oval head. There is a hilarious picture of a big, clean, pink tongue sticking out of someone’s mouth on the package.

When

I bought my brush, I considered trying the Tung gel that is made for it, but in the end, I decided to stick with my own toothpaste, because I am very sensitive to strong mint flavors, and I did not want my tongue to get sore. I eventually did try the gel– and although it worked well, I could not use it for long because of the strong mint irritating my mouth. The paste I use is either a kid’s brand, or a natural brand that has a milder flavor.

This is what I used with the Tung brush, and it seemed to work pretty well. The brush feels like a short crew-cut sort of brush. It actually feels pleasant.

I was worried it would hurt a bit. If you use it very vigorously, you can ...

• actually injure your tongue, because the bristles seem stiffer than a regular soft toothbrush. Although the brush boasts that it does not cause gagging, I did gag a little when using it.

To be fair, I have extremely sensitive gag reflexes. It may be quite a legitimate claim– for other folks. I tried to get as far back on my tongue as I could, so the gagging may have been due to my overzealous attempt.

When I was finished brushing for the first time with the Tung, I stuck my tongue out just like the picture on the package to see if I had the same perfect pink tongue. It wasn’t quite as perfect, but that one was probably photo-shopped anyway. At first, it was novel.

I loved using my Tung brush and having

a perfectly clean tongue. Eventually, the newness wore off. I sometimes get lazy and don’t bother with the Tung brush.

I just use my regular brush, since it is already in my hand, and has toothpaste on it. I go through periods when I use it more often than usual, like any time when I am concerned about bad breath (like for a date!) I think it probably does keep my mouth a lot healthier to get all the bacteria out. So far, my Tung brush has held up really well and I have not needed to replace it.

I would definitely recommend this product to anyone who is concerned about bad breath– that is where you will really see the difference. Your breath will be much nicer if you take the time to use the Tung brush.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3424021432870628/k2311a0224/2.24.11