Secret Sheer Mineral Antiperspirant/ Deodorant Solid 2.6 oz  » Health  »
2.5
  • When I went through a fear phase, overly worried about the aluminum exposure from antiperspirant products, I tried quite a few natural and “mineral” alternatives, but never really found any that impressed me with their performance
  • Since it said “mineral” on the packaging, I made the assumption that it was all natural and I thought to myself that if anyone could make it work, Secret could
  • I bought a package of the “powder romance” fragrance without really reading the label
  • In the meantime, I think it’s almost as good as most of their other products as far as effectiveness, but if you are looking for a safer alternative to aluminum based products, this is not what it seems they want it to appear to be

• by reviewabit

I have always been a big fan of Secret deodorant/antiperspirants. I use them regularly, especially the sheer invisible solids. When I went through a fear phase, overly worried about the aluminum exposure from antiperspirant products, I tried quite a few natural and “mineral” alternatives, but never really found any that impressed me with their performance. When I saw this product on the shelf, I first thought it was Secret’s alternative to aluminum based deodorants.

Since it said “mineral” on the packaging, I made the assumption that it was all natural and I thought to myself that if anyone could make it work, Secret could. I bought a package of the “powder romance” fragrance without really reading the label. When I got home, I tried the product and found that it smelled really nice, has a

texture very similar to their other solids, and seemed to work pretty well, if not quite as well as my usual Secret choice did.

Then I noticed the small print. This is not a natural/herbal/mineral alternative. It contains something called aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex.

It also calls itself an anti-antiperspirant as well as a deodorant. Most of the natural products are only labeled as deodorant, since anti-antiperspirants are in the category of aluminum dangers. After doing a quick search on the ingredient and the product, I was even more confused as Secret just calls it the power of Secret with a “light mineral application.

” I can’t help but feel they are trying to imply that it is a more natural product, when in fact it may just be a slightly weaker version of their ...

• others. I feel my intelligence is a little insulted– especially because I fell for it, buying the product without reading the ingredients. I just assumed Secret would not try to fool me into anything.

Had I been extremely against using aluminum products, and had used this on my skin without knowing fully what it was, I might have really been upset. Since I normally use the aluminum based Secret anyway, I can deal with it. I do have to wonder though, what exactly is the benefit of this product? Is it that it uses less aluminum? Since they are not clear about it, and imply that it is something entirely different from normal deodorant products, how are we to know? I don’t really get any benefit from using a weaker product.

That’s kind of like being a

little pregnant. If you are going to use the aluminum based product, you might as well use a strong enough version of it to work. Otherwise, you could just use Tom’s of Maine or any of the other natural product that either don’t work at all or don’t work well enough to really help.

I just don’t quite get this product. Although it seems to work well, because of the confusion about it, I probably would not buy it again until a little more explanation has come to light or Secret gives us the real scoop. In the meantime, I think it’s almost as good as most of their other products as far as effectiveness, but if you are looking for a safer alternative to aluminum based products, this is not what it seems they want it to appear to be.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3424021432850628/k2311a0224/2.24.11