Barleen’s Arizona Opry Dinner Theater  » Theatre  »
2275 Old West Highway Apache Junction, AZ 85119-7846
  • I've visited the Arizona Opry (previously called the Barleen Dinner Theater) several times growing up, and it's certainly an interesting concept
  • The mashed potatoes are hearty and thick, where I prefer a fluffier texture, and the whole weat rolls are well-made but seemed to lack a little butter flavor
  • I don't think that only jokes that are dirty are funny, but the humor is just plain cheesy
  • The show is clearly catered to the 60+ aged people who frequent it, and I think the theater could benefit from bringing in something a little modern for at least a small portion of the show

• by Tiffany

There’s a bit of a stigma which Arizona carries about the age of its citizens. Simply put, many people in other states view it as an oversized retirement community because of the healthy dry air and abundance of sunshine. Barleen’s Arizona Opry derives all of its success from this demographic. I’ve visited the Arizona Opry (previously called the Barleen Dinner Theater) several times growing up, and it’s certainly an interesting concept. Dinner and a church-friendly show, complete with yodeling and a sweet old grandma telling jokes.

The first thing you notice upon entering the building is the banquet-style seating. Several rows of tables line the floor, with a small booth in the back for cd sales and the stage in front. Next to the stage is the root beer float stand, but I’ll get back to

that. Once you find your seat and dinner service starts, it’s just a normal cafeteria setting. Every time I have been there has been on a night when the theater served roast beef, and every time the quality has varied. Some nights the meat is falling-apart tender, and others it’s dry and tough. The mashed potatoes are hearty and thick, where I prefer a fluffier texture, and the whole weat rolls are well-made but seemed to lack a little butter flavor. The cake, which is a deep chocolate layered cake, is moist and incredibly chocolaty but very rich and a little cloying because of how sweet it is. Coffee and lemonade are served with the food, and both are about average, and soft drinks and beer are extra. As I’m not 21, I can’t really comment ...

• on the beer selection, but the people around me seemed satisfied with it.

The show itself revolves around George Staerkel, a “musical genius” who sings with a country twang but can hit very high notes and play an absurd number of instruments. I’m not really a fan of country music, but George is talented, and his fame as the high voice in The Lion Sleeps Tonight adds a neat charm. The website for the theater promises “side splitting comedy” but I wouldn’t hold my breath for that. I don’t think that only jokes that are dirty are funny, but the humor is just plain cheesy. Not only did I barely crack a laugh, a few of the jokes actually made me groan a little bit.

At intermission, the stand next to the stage opens up and root

beer floats are available. If you go, this is a must-have! The ice cream is incredibly creamy, and the root beer has that old sassafras taste that you just don’t see any more. The line tends to be long, but it’s well worth the wait to dig into the foaming treat. Honestly, I’ve never had a root beer float so good anywhere.

After the show returns, it’s back to the music and jokes. The music is very well-done but also very dated. The show is clearly catered to the 60+ aged people who frequent it, and I think the theater could benefit from bringing in something a little modern for at least a small portion of the show. Still, it’s a good place to send some aging family members looking for a good dose of nostalgia and root beer.

Budd says :

Four score and seven minutes ago, I read a sweet article. Lol tahkns

Thomas Mattingly says :

re : The show is clearly catered to the 60+ aged people who frequent it, and I think the theater could benefit from bringing in something a little modern for at least a small portion of the show
    Very interesting, definitely going to be going again when we visit

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3224021432030528/k2311a0224/2.24.11