National Laundrynette NA-160 Washer  » Housewares  »
  • I like to be treated as royalty in my own castle, but I’m a slave when it comes to washing my own clothes
  • I prefer not to machine-wash my clothes, especially those with intricate details, like pleats and special delicate cottons dyed in black
  • I know the water is supposed to go to the draining hoses hooked at one side, but for unknown reasons, it doesn’t
  • I have no idea how much this would cost today in the market
  • But in spite of myself, I don’t recommend this washer because this model has gone past its prime

• by jhunie

I do my own laundry. I like to be treated as royalty in my own castle, but I’m a slave when it comes to washing my own clothes. I don’t always have the time, or the willingness to go over it every week. However, not doing it is just equally depressing when I see my laundry basket piled with dirty clothes. I let the National laundrynette washer take care of my clothes. We have had several washers back then, and this one stood the test of time. This is a basic top-loader, with the agitator located at the base.

By the book, the washer is believed to have the capacity to wash 4 kilos of laundry. It is exactly the same as our old top-loader. This means that the washer can accommodate mounds of laundry in one cycle. In actuality however, ransacking everything at once will only require more water, and will reduce the cleaning efficiency of the washer, as it slows down the movement of the agitator. Like most top-loaders, it requires plenty of water. My own estimation is that putting massive loads at one cycle is inversely proportional to how well the washer should perform. In many instances, I can see that the spinning movement really gets sluggish. And the buzzing sound from beneath makes a long screeching noise, as if dragging a ton of sack on

the floor, which speaks volumes that the agitator is struggling to carry all that weight of clothes and water. I cope with this by compromising the quantity and weight of laundry I put on the washer per cycle. Hence the process takes a while.

My washing time can extend as close to half of my entire Sunday morning. That’s how long it normally takes, and for some uneventful afternoons, I might never see my clothes dry by the evening. I rather expect it to happen the following day (I need a dryer!). I really slave away half of my time to finish the job. Considering the latter, it has, in a way, allowed me to better organize my methodology during laundry time. Since I can’t just throw away everything, I like to sort out my laundry, and it’s partly because I’m quite meticulous concerning the upkeep of my clothes. I prefer not to machine-wash my clothes, especially those with intricate details, like pleats and special delicate cottons dyed in black. For everything else, I segregate the whites from the dark-colored clothes, as well as multi-colored fabrics.

I’m uncertain how this equipment fares to front-loading washing machines, since I own none, but I imagine one clear advantage of top-loaders is that they’re pretty easy to clean and drain. The hollow frame of this thing can also turn into a basket case for dirty clothes,

• set for the next laundry schedule. I usually clean the bottom of the machine, including the agitator, and unlike our previous washers, it doesn’t harbor some rubbish. Sometimes I could find buttons and coins in there, with its predecessors, yet it doesn’t happen on this one. The 2 hoses drain the water out of the washer. One serves to collect excess water, I guess, while the other drains all the water.

The controls: the only thing that needs to be fiddled is the timer. A complete “heavy-loaded” cycle takes the duration of 15 minutes. I’m compulsive in cleaning things, so I like to repeat the process per load; therefore, one cycle can last half an hour. There’s a plastic screen or vent on one of the four corners of the washer, which I utterly hate to bits. I don’t know why, but once the water level has exceeded past the screen, water would leak out on the bottom of the washer. It had been fixed many times, but it comes and goes. I know the water is supposed to go to the draining hoses hooked at one side, but for unknown reasons, it doesn’t. Probably the only function of this part is to regulate the volume of water, so I don’t overwhelm it with water. It has also served as the marker to indicate that I’ve poured the standard

amount of water needed for washing.

I can’t raise any complaints regarding the cleaning power of this water. It cleans all sorts of clothes, from rigid fabrics like jeans and wool, to soft cottons and silks. In the case of white shirts, well it’s not going to restore it to its new blindingly white color; bleach helps, though. When removing stains, it’s either that the indelible stain is permanent, or the machine, coupled with a good detergent, comes off. The washer has served me well in cleaning my clothes for years, and that’s an established fact in my kitchen. Perhaps there’s a tinge of sentiment why I hold unto this laundry equipment. I actually spend a day with it – for years and years – and that’s enough reasoning.

They say older appliances eat up too much of your monthly electric bill, but that doesn’t seem to be the case for this washer. I’ve used it for years, and it may take a significant portion of the energy costs, since I use it for hours, though not very high. I have no idea how much this would cost today in the market. But in spite of myself, I don’t recommend this washer because this model has gone past its prime. There are other washers, with dryers, out there, made with all the extra advanced features for your laundry-loving self (not me, though) to twiddle.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5322021430260428/k2311a0222/2.22.11