Acer External Computer Speaker System 40W3  » Electronics  »
  • I don’t want to be bashed for having such a poor preference in music and nobody likes to listen to electronica in the house, that’s why I like a better control at the volume
  • The chord doesn’t make any distortions and static music right after plugging, which is a fault I found with my former downsized speakers
  • The fact that it functions merely as a proprietary device next to the computer has advantages and disadvantages
  • I highly recommend this software if you want to enrich your audio experience as far as audio quality is concerned
  • I definitely approve of these speakers for all your listening pleasures

• by jhunie

When the time came to replace my pc’s sound card, it also served as a turning point to append a better speaker system to my desktop computer. I have my own private ways to listen to my favorite music. I am concerned about cutting the habit to a healthy level, after becoming fully aware of the hazards of plugging earbuds on my ears almost daily. It was my dad who brought this Acer computer speaker system. I couldn’t afford costly and dynamic subwoofers to create an intimate multimedia space for viewing movies and playing bass-thumping electronic sounds. Before I discovered portable speakers, which are all the rage these days (burger speakers, everyone?), this set of speakers functioned as my go-to sound system. I was really blown away by the range of the speakers’ volume, a strong point of the product. This is a powerful music device that fills my whole room in loud music. I happen to have an Acer desktop computer as well, so the speakers were very easy to set up.

I have an amusing love-and-hate relationship with this speaker system. But that doesn’t change my respect for the high-standard quality of the device. It’s just that the speakers are too loud even at the lowest volume. I watch a

youtube video and no matter how I lower the volume on the web site, and the native volume of the computer, it’s still loud. I don’t want to be bashed for having such a poor preference in music and nobody likes to listen to electronica in the house, that’s why I like a better control at the volume. Unless you’re very hip in your musical tastes, this might come out too loud for those with sensitive ears.

My favorite moment with the speakers is the time I play some airy classical pieces and henry mancini soundtracks (slightly mournful) in the morning after rising up from bed. I like lazy mornings with breakfast in bed. It sucks though that I have to open the computer to play music, but that affords me time to check my email too. The intensity of the volume doesn’t sound very harsh as the music I’m playing is much softer and elegant. It’s one exceptional moment I get to appreciate the loudness of the speakers. It proves that some music are just awfully too loud and others aren’t, right? The mellow tunes come out not as crystal clear as listening with a headphone, though the speakers are able to render the sounds with adequate clarity, enough for me to hear and ...

• dissect the different instrumental components of a song, and the notes therein.

This is actually a plug-and-play device, and its power supply relies upon its USB connection. Apart from USB connection, there’s another analog chord that connects to one of the sound jacks (green) of the pc. The chord doesn’t make any distortions and static music right after plugging, which is a fault I found with my former downsized speakers. You have to plug both connections, or else, the speakers will never work. The fact that it functions merely as a proprietary device next to the computer has advantages and disadvantages. It saves energy because it’s powered by the computer; however, you can’t use the speakers independently when the computer is turned off.

In conjunction with the speakers, I use an audio program called the Realtek HD audio manager. I highly recommend this software if you want to enrich your audio experience as far as audio quality is concerned. I feel it amplifies the functionality of the speakers, by giving me a wide set of options to tweak its sound quality. There’s the usual equalizer to customize the tone of sound, and 3D effects to assess how well the speakers are working in its left and right orientation. It allows me to know the balance

of sound. The program also literally shows what audio connections are being utilized, the various jacks, and it identifies whether a microphone or other audio devices, such as a headphone is hooked up.

The external speakers consist of 2 parts: the basic left and right. The size of the speakers is relatively large. It has a rather strange shape in the form of a split dome once the 2 speakers are joined together. The speakers are either standalone devices or they can be hooked up on the sides of the computer monitor, but that’s impossible at present, since I’ve upgraded my pc to a flatscreen LCD. The 2 speakers can be attached to each other, and there are adjoining parts that lock them together. It’s good that I can attach them both so they don’t take up much space, and the quality of the sound produced becomes whole, but it also loses its dimension as the direction of the sound is fused together. The front panel of the speakers has the same felt-textured material covering found in computer speakers. Thus far, I don’t feel the unnecessary need to replace this powerful equipment. This would probably cost 20 dollars in the market, or less. I definitely approve of these speakers for all your listening pleasures.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1622021430060428/k2311a0222/2.22.11