Dr. Wieder’s Original Tung Gel Fresh Mint 3 oz  » Health  »
  • I have a Tung brush, so I decided to give it a try
  • For mouthwash I prefer the non-alcohol types, which do not burn as badly
  • I made an exception for this product, since I know that mint is a great help in fighting bad breath, and it’s pretty hard to find breath products that are not mint flavored
  • I found that it made a nice foamy lather and was quite easy to use with the brush
  • If mint doesn’t bother you, I think you will be very happy with this product

• by reviewabit

Tung gel is made specifically for use in cleansing the tongue. It is recommended that you use it with the Tung brush. I have a Tung brush, so I decided to give it a try. I was worried about my breath because of an upcoming date– I wanted my mouth to be completely fresh, and they say that bacteria and “gunk” on the tongue is the most common cause of bad breath.

I am normally not a big fan of mint flavored products, because they burn my mouth. I tend to use the kid’s toothpastes for brushing, or natural products with mild flavors. For mouthwash I prefer the non-alcohol types, which do not burn as badly.

I made an exception for this product, since I know that

mint is a great help in fighting bad breath, and it’s pretty hard to find breath products that are not mint flavored. This item contained zinc, which is supposed to help with breath issues and cleaning the tongue. This gel claimed to have better results than toothpaste, which is what I normally used for my tongue.

I dug out my Tung brush, and tried the gel. It is a lighter, more liquid texture than toothpaste. I found that it made a nice foamy lather and was quite easy to use with the brush.

The taste was typical strong mint. It was a bit irritating, but I was willing to suffer the temporary burn for the hope of a really good result. I used the ...

• gel for about a week before my big date was to take place.

I definitely had a cleaner feeling mouth that lasted much longer than when I simply used toothpaste on my tongue. When I used the Tung gel, it almost made me think of the Dow Scrubbing Bubbles. Although it is not an effervescent product, it produces foam so easily that it almost seems to do this without your help.

By the end of the week I could tell a cumulative effect– I was definitely having fresher breath. There was one problem though– my tongue was sore. I was not sure if it was from the mint in the product or from the more vigilant brushing I was doing, so after my date had passed,

I stopped using the Tung gel and brush and went back to using my kid’s toothpaste with the Tung brush.

After a day or so, my tongue was no longer sore. It was obviously the mint in the product. Even though I was disappointed that I could not keep using the product daily because of the soreness, I still use it on special occasions, because it does really work.

I would recommend this product for anyone concerned about tongue hygiene and their breath. It is developed well for this use. If you, like me, are unfortunately sensitive to strong mint flavors, this might present a challenge in using it for long periods.

If mint doesn’t bother you, I think you will be very happy with this product.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3421021428510228/k2311a0221/2.21.11