Wysong Liver Gourmet Canine Feline Diet Canned Food
2.0
  • I started shopping at a new local health food (organic) grocery store and that’s where I found it
  • I thought the ingredients in the food were pretty decent
  • I really don’t like grains in cat food but I think it’s OK in here as it’s not one of the first ingredients
  • That made me happy, as it was one of the first ones I bought and generally I have to try a dozen brands before I find one he actually will eat on a regular basis

• by bookwyrm

My cat has once again grown tired of his old food (that he ate for a long time), so I am trying out new foods and this was one of the first ones I tried. I had heard of Wysong before but have never seen it for sale in one of my local stores before. From what I understand it’s supposed to be pretty good, so I had high hopes that my cats would like it. One of my cats, my fifteen-year-old Maine Coon is very fussy with food and it’s hard to find something he likes. I started shopping at a new local health food (organic) grocery store and that’s where I found it. All in all, I found this food to be somewhat confusing, which is not good (although the ingredients in this particular canned flavor were acceptable). It seems Wysong can’t decide if this is cat food or dog food. I really don’t like that this is a “mixed species” food as cats are not dogs. Both species have different requirements.

Why can’t they make a canned food for each species, one with the proper vitamins in it?

I thought the ingredients in the food were pretty decent. The first several ingredients listed are real meats like chicken liver, chicken and beef. There are a few grains in here, like brown rice, but it’s the seventh ingredient. Soybeans is also listed, before the rice. I really don’t like grains in cat food but I think it’s OK in here as it’s not one of the first ingredients. Not too sure about the soybeans…

Upon opening the can, I found the food inside to be very solid and dry. I ended up adding a lot of water to the food to make it moister, as my cat enjoys wet, juicy canned food. He also likes slurping “juice” from the canned food. I had to mush it up with a fork. I split the can in half, giving each half to one of my cats. They both ate it very well and it seemed they really liked this ...

• food. That made me happy, as it was one of the first ones I bought and generally I have to try a dozen brands before I find one he actually will eat on a regular basis! Alas, that was not to be this brand. The second can neither of my cats would touch at all. I guess there is something in the food they don’t like – maybe the soybeans? I also tried giving them a few untouched hunks straight from the can and they wouldn’t touch that, either.

This is also not a complete food. This canned food is meant as a “topper” to put on top of dry food or to be used as a treat. As the label says Canine/Feline I’m guessing it does not contain all of the nutrients that a cat needs in his or her diet, like taurine for their eyes. Dogs don’t need taurine but cats do. If you’re used to buying only canned cat food as I am, you might not notice that this is not

meant as a sole food but as a supplement only. The words on the can are pretty small and how many people really read the feeding guide on the can’s side?

The health store also had the Wysong dry food in bags and I found looking at them confusing. The bags were labeled with odd words, like “Uretic” or “Geretic” but nowhere on the bag did it explain exactly what these words meant. Uretic must relate to urine, so is it food meant for cats that make crystals and stones, which have FUS (Feline Urinary Syndrome)? Why couldn’t they take the time to write a small paragraph on each bag to explain which type of cat each food is meant for? Yet that paragraph was nowhere to be found: very sad. And as I recall, it also had a lot of grain in the first ingredients!

All in all, I rate this food a “4” for being confusing, not containing the proper vitamins a cat needs and the fact that my cat refused to touch the second can.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2921021428090128/k2311a0221/2.21.11