The Last Noel by Heather Graham Book  » Books  »
  • Still, I found this straight forward story about a group of murdering thieves holding a family hostage on Christmas Eve to be very intriguing – and scary
  • I like that this story is scary because it could actually happen
  • In this case, I think that is a very good thing indeed
  • All in all, I really enjoyed reading this book, as it was filled with lots of tense suspense and scary moments

• by bookwyrm

This was a fun and quick read. I read the entire book in just a few hours. The story was very absorbing and I kept turning the pages to see what would happen next. In the last few weeks I have been reading a lot of novels by Heather Graham and I must add this one is a bit different than her others, as there is no supernatural twist involved at all. Still, I found this straight forward story about a group of murdering thieves holding a family hostage on Christmas Eve to be very intriguing – and scary. I also think out of the nine books I read so far by this author that this one may be my favorite. It has many tense situations, unexpected events and the wild fury of

nature. It also shows the duel sides of humanity, both how cruel some people can be as well as how helpful others can be.

I like that this story is scary because it could actually happen. Ghosts and odd things that go bump in the night are great fun to read about, but a hostage situation is real and it could happen to almost anyone. The horrible blizzard in the story makes it even more of a tough situation with no easy help, no neighbor to run to. As I flipped the pages, I found myself pondering how the family would get out of the nasty unexpected situation. Should the daughter risk her life to walk through a blizzard to reach help or stay hidden in the house? It’s a tough call, especially ...

• when the family in question lives out in the country. I couldn’t help but wonder what I would do in such a situation, as the plot makes you think.

I also really loved the characters. They just seemed so real! The family ranged in age from a teenage boy to an older uncle with a cane, each with their own charming personality traits. The uncle may have been a bit of an Irish drunk, but he was also a charming rogue with a clever mind. The family was also very real, arguing at first over little things and then pulling together during the crisis. I think that was very realistic.

I also liked the villains, which may seem a bit odd. Scooter was especially memorable. He seemed like a child in many ways, even

if he was an adult thief. He wanted Christmas so badly; the turkey dinner, the decorated tree, the presents… The other thief, however, was a cold-blooded snake ready to spring at any moment, a time bomb waiting to go off.

The book is classified as a romance and there is a subplot involving two characters. I really didn’t see the romance as the central part of the story – the hostage situation is – but it is in there. This book is also pretty clean in terms of romance and there are no steamy scenes to goof up the tense flow of the plot. In this case, I think that is a very good thing indeed!

All in all, I really enjoyed reading this book, as it was filled with lots of tense suspense and scary moments.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1721021427920128/k2311a0221/2.21.11