The Island by Heather Graham Book
  • I thought about it a lot while waiting for the bus, trying to decide which person I suspected the most
  • I think her innocence and naïve-ness makes her an excellent target for the criminals in this book, as what they are doing makes her question everything

• by bookwyrm

This was the first novel that I read by Heather Graham and it has made me a fan of her books. It is expertly plotted with enough of suspicious characters to make you question just which one is the criminal. The main plot is simple enough: a young woman spots a human skull buried on the beach of a deserted island and later it disappears, so who took it and why? It’s your classic Who Done It mystery and I had great fun trying to guess exactly who the criminal is. That’s why

we read these kinds of books, right? I thought about it a lot while waiting for the bus, trying to decide which person I suspected the most. The plot also had lots of suspense and some scary moments as well, but that is to be expected.

I liked Beth, the main character. She is pretty innocent in many ways. She doesn’t date or have a big bunch of friends; she spends most of her time working at the local yacht club where her brother is a member. I think her innocence and naïve-ness

makes her an excellent target for the criminals in this book, as what they are doing makes her question everything; even if she had really saw a skull on the island. When she isn’t scared half to death she is questioning her own mind and sanity. Yet, as the same time, she is very brave and wants to find out what is going on. She’s noisy and wants to snoop and often puts herself in danger that way.

There is also a romance element to the plot where Beth is strongly attracted to ...

• The Island by Heather Graham Book
      one of the three strange men she met on the island. He has a sense of danger about him and Beth is unsure if she can trust him or not. I must admit I knew the man in question was a good guy right away. I guess we were supposed to be unsure of his intentions, but I never was. I do think Beth fell into bed with him too quickly, but I guess that is common in a romance story.

I admit I did guess who the bad guys were in this

book. It wasn’t really all that hard truthfully. Still, it is an excellent book with some truly wonderful writing and the story really comes alive. The parts I remember the most are the truly scary moments: Beth walking in the parking lot towards her car with a dark someone following her, a dark shadowy person hiding behind the streetlight and watching her house for unknown reasons while she peeks out at them and the nasty tricks the criminal plays on her office computer. And then there was the mutilated dead cat on her front porch…

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1721021427910128/k2311a0221/2.21.11