The Heavenstone Secrets by V.C. Andrews Book
0.5
  • But this particular tale I just found dull and boring
  • I found myself skimming the pages and skipping forward, hoping to find something that would make the tale worth reading
  • A faster pace would have been better I think and possibly add a little more suspense or something

• by bookwyrm

I really didn’t like this book at all, which is a bit odd as I usually like stories written by this author. But this particular tale I just found dull and boring. A lot of pages seemed to pass with little to nothing of interest happening. In some books that may be OK, but I didn’t care for the snail pace in this one. I found myself skimming the pages and skipping forward, hoping to find something that would make the tale worth reading. If it weren’t for that, I would have fallen asleep or given up totally on this hardcover. A faster pace would have been

better I think and possibly add a little more suspense or something. But that didn’t happen. A lot of the pages simply dealt with everyday stuff, like setting the table and making breakfast.

I also strongly disliked the main character, the older sister. Her bad behavior was so awful it just made the book impossible to read. She was just too bossy, whiney and one of those bossy perfectionists. She can also be qualified as a “know-it-all”. I just couldn’t stand the things she was doing to her slightly younger sister. She was really evil and saw nothing wrong with what she was doing – and she does ...

• a truly horrible thing to her innocent and naïve sister. I realize some people may say that an evil older sister is a good thing in a book, but it just turned me off from the whole plot because I couldn’t stand how she was written and her dialogue and she was on almost every page. I think this is the first time I have encountered a character I simply could not stand.

The younger sister wasn’t really any better. It was simply ghastly how she was being pushed around and bossed by the older girl in almost every scene. I kept wishing the girl would grow a

backbone or do something to better herself, to get out of the bad situation. It’s like knowing an awful train wreck is going to happen and being powerless to prevent it. The younger one didn’t even know what the older one was doing – playing tricks on her. She often even looked up to her, believing her sister knew better than she did. She believed in her until the very end when she finally wised up.

So yes, the theme of this novel is abuse and taking advantage of being in power, but it’s written in such a way I just couldn’t stand it.

This book was published in 2010.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1721021427900128/k2311a0221/2.21.11