Fancy Feast Canned Cat Food  » Pets  »
  • I mostly tried to feed him the Fancy Feast Classic, as I thought that was slightly healthier than the varieties that included gravies or sauces
  • My cat has FUS so his body can make crystals and stones, so I was trying to avoid that problem
  • Of the kinds that contain gravy, he favored the Grilled the best

• by bookwyrm

Fancy Feast may not be anywhere near high quality cat food, but it got my cat to eat and gain weight when no other cat food interested him. To me, that is worth a lot. Back in April of 2010 my older cat grew tired of his regular food. I tried all of the better, high quality foods on him and none of them really interested him. He would eat small bits of this or that, but he was mostly filling himself up on water. Then I tried Fancy Feast. He loved the stuff! It came in a lot of varieties and flavors, too, and that helped him to gain back the three pounds he had lost. And yes, I had the vet run tests on him and nothing was wrong with him physically: he was just sick and tired of his old food.

I mostly tried to feed him the

Fancy Feast Classic, as I thought that was slightly healthier than the varieties that included gravies or sauces. The sauces contain wheat gluten, an ingredient I am leery of to be truthful. My cat has FUS so his body can make crystals and stones, so I was trying to avoid that problem. But he ate a lot of the Grilled Fancy Feast and the Chunky Fancy Feast, too. Of the kinds that contain gravy, he favored the Grilled the best.

After eating Fancy Feast for a few months, he once again started eating the C/D from the vet and that was good! Before he would only eat a little of the S/D, but he needs the C/D too.

I liked that Fancy Feast comes in a large variety of flavors and it was enough to keep him interested and eating for a good six months. Over time his favorite flavors would ...

• change. Sometimes he liked the Classic Turkey & Giblets, then the Chicken Hearts & Chicken Livers, then a fish flavor… My other cat liked Fancy Feast, too, and I could feed each one a different flavor. They would eat about half their plate and then they would switch plates, so they both got two flavors at a meal.

I also liked the convenience. Lots of stores sell Fancy Feast, including the Target near my home. I could walk there and stock up on cans. They often had them on sale, too, often for as little as $0.32 a can! I often had coupons and that was great, too. With the higher quality pet foods, I need to take a bus to a far away store, but the Fancy Feast was within walking distance.

I should add that he is peeing OK and it not blocked, so eating Fancy Feast for

six months didn’t seem to harm him any. However, he was eating the dry food from the vet every day, too, but the Fancy Feast was his main food that he would fill up on.

If your cat doesn’t want to eat anything, it is well worth it to try Fancy Feast, even if the cat has some medical problem. Eating something is better than eating nothing, even if it’s not exactly the best thing to eat. Now that my cat is tired of Fancy Feast, he is ready to eat the high quality stuff again, as that’s what he wants now.

I rate Fancy Feast a “9” as it is practically guaranteed to get a cat eating, even if he turns his nose up at everything else. No, it’s not the best ingredient wise but any food is better than no food (and no food can lead to liver problems).

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2921021427711228/k2311a0221/2.21.11