Deadly Harvest by Heather Graham Book  » Books  »
  • Out of the nine books I read by Heather Graham recently, I think this is one of the scariest
  • It brings a sense of history to the piece and makes it more interesting
  • No one likes a boring book and this is anything but that
  • I like that this book had several possible suspects for me to pick from, each one with their own suspicious activities, including owning books on Satanism

• by bookwyrm

Out of the nine books I read by Heather Graham recently, I think this is one of the scariest. And it’s not just the endless cornfields pictured on the cover or the fact that a serial killer is leaving bodies on the posts meant to hold scarecrows, either. It’s the fact that the killer is a local resident and someone that the main character, Rowenna, knows well. It’s the idea that someone you know is actually a coldblooded killer: your neighbor, the guy across the street that walks his dog or the guy that sells bakery. They all look normal but one of them is not and as soon as you realize that, then everyone becomes a suspect and trust goes out the window. And Rowenna has that exact problem:

not an easy thing to live with. Nor is it safe for any female to be outside alone anymore, yet Rowenna finds herself alone way too often…

This story is set in Salem on Halloween, so you know it’s creepy. And there is loads of creepy stuff right out of a horror movie, too. The most memorable is when Rowenna gets chased and attacked by a huge flock of crows and she is forced to run into the cornfields that scare her so much. And all of the female victims just vanish into thin air, one having disappeared from a cemetery no less! And the main suspect is a mysterious fortune teller named Damien that no one really seems to know. Everything is very well described; right down to the rotting ...

• corpse that Rowenna just knows is hanging on the scarecrow post just ahead of her. Her dread of actually looking upward (as she had fell onto the ground) and seeing the corpse was expertly written.

And the author really brings modern day Salem to life in this story, too. The people that live there, the Wiccans and how they walk around wearing robes (cloaks), how Halloween is a big deal there… I never knew that Wiccans walked around wearing cloaks … it sounds cool!

I really liked the back story on the Harvest Man, a local legend and frightening figure known for bones being found in the cornfields. It brings a sense of history to the piece and makes it more interesting. And interesting is good. No one likes a boring

book and this is anything but that. It is fast paced with the story unfolding perfectly. The Harvest Man also brings in the somewhat supernatural element to the tale, although the killer is a normal human.

I like that this book had several possible suspects for me to pick from, each one with their own suspicious activities, including owning books on Satanism. Whenever I read these types of books I always try to guess who the killer is as I think that’s part of the fun. With this one I guessed correctly, although I don’t always get them right. This time I just put the clues together and got lucky.

Of course, there is a romance element in this book as well. That is done at a reasonable pace, not too fast and not too slow.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1721021427701228/k2311a0221/2.21.11