Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition
  • Recently I bought a few cans of this cat food to try on my cats
  • Dealing with this problem can be difficult as there are only so many brands of cat food out there and many he refuses to touch

• by bookwyrm

Recently I bought a few cans of this cat food to try on my cats. My older cat, which is sixteen years old now, grows bored with his food about every month and wants something new to eat. Dealing with this problem can be difficult as there are only so many brands of cat food out there and many he refuses to touch. This one, however, he seemed to like.

I tried two flavors on him so far, the “kitten” one and the “Beauty” one. My, those are truly odd names for cat food flavors! He preferred the Kitten one slightly better but ate both very well, cleaning almost the entire plate in one prolonged sitting. By prolonged, I

mean that he would eat, then go for a short walk and then eat more: that is his usual eating habit.

I like that these cans contain real meat. The Kitten one is chicken, chicken liver and pork liver with pork by-products. The Beauty one is chicken, pork liver and chicken liver with pork by-products, so this one has more pork in it. Real meat in cat food is better than the by-products, as it provides more nutrition. I also think the addition of pork is good, as it adds a new flavor to the cat food and my cat is looking for new tastes and flavors. Most cat food does not contain pork at all, probably because it ...

• is fatty.

I also like that the food in these little cans is the style that he likes, which was a good surprise for me. I expected it to be the usual ground pate, but it wasn’t: it was actually little slices of food in gravy. My cat loves that style of food but it is harder to find in the real meat type of cat foods. The Kitten just had thinner pieces; otherwise the chunks pretty much looked the same. They are shaped like little “fingers”.

The food has a good scent, I guess, not too noticeable until I hold the can to my nose. But my cats must have liked it as they both ate it very

well. I would say it smells a little bit like gravy, as there is a grainy bit to it. There is some fish oil in here as well, so it does not entirely smell like meat. There must be very little fish oil, as in general they don’t care for fish too much.

The downside is that there is some grain in here and a bunch of big words on the label that I never heard of before. They both like it, however, so I will continue buying this brand for them and put it into their rotation.

I rate this cat food a “9” as it is pretty good and my cats seem to like it well enough.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2921021427641228/k2311a0221/2.21.11