Wicked The Musical  » Theatre  »
The Gershwin Theater, 222 West 51st Street New York, NY 10019
  • After reading the book several years ago, I was very excited to experience Wicked the Musical in all its splendor on Broadway
  • I found myself laughing out loud quite a few times
  • My boyfriend who is not a big fan of musical theater had a great time and told me how much he enjoyed it, based on the story alone
  • Although I prefer the book’s story because it is more weighty and relevant, Wicked the Musical does an excellent job of entertaining and bringing joy to its audiences, which is all that a show should set out to do

• by Agoobacha

After reading the book several years ago, I was very excited to experience Wicked the Musical in all its splendor on Broadway. My boyfriend knew how interested I was so he purchased us tickets as part of my Christmas gift. This was truly a memorable night.

The Gershwin Theater in itself is a magnificent place to behold. Hundreds of names of beloved actors, producers, directors and choreographers adorn the walls of this spectacular theater. In addition, in order to make the Gershwin feel like the home of Wicked, large chunks of the walls are

also decorated with beautifully rendered maps of Oz and all its bordering territories. This really got me excited and ready to see the show.

The set is beautifully designed, bright colorful and highly appealing to the eye. It is not as elaborate as some other that I have seen, such as Phantom of the Opera, however it does not need to be and sometimes the minimalist approach works best anyway.

The show itself was spectacular. The story and the characters are memorable and very lovable. I found myself laughing out loud quite a few times.

• I noticed that unlike many Broadway productions, the humor in this story was not raunchy or risqué, but instead simply good old fashioned funny. I really appreciate this effort to rely on something other than sex to entertain. Furthermore, the story carried itself, without requiring the dirty jokes. My boyfriend who is not a big fan of musical theater had a great time and told me how much he enjoyed it, based on the story alone. That is all well and good, but this is a musical and the musical numbers must be taken
        into consideration; Wicked outperforms most other shows with the number of home runs it hits. The songs are beautiful, touching, and expertly performed, even though our Elphaba was an understudy.

The show is very loosely based on the novel, which is good to know if you are a fan of the book and an absolute purist. Although I prefer the book’s story because it is more weighty and relevant, Wicked the Musical does an excellent job of entertaining and bringing joy to its audiences, which is all that a show should set out to do.

Wicked The Musical

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3221021427581228/k2311a0221/2.21.11