Nikon D3100 DSLR with 18-55 mm lens  » Cameras  »
  • I enjoyed learning and practicing on the D3000, because that was my first DSLR, and it was a very simple camera with a beginner's guide mode and would lead you through the steps to get the picture you wanted-without having to really know what you were doing
  • At first I wondered if there would be enough of a difference for me to even notice, but I was impressed with the camera from the first time I picked it up
  • For me, I know I found myself lying belly down on the ground, only centimeters away from a flower trying to get an up-close shot because that was the only way I could see the focus and composition
  • Also it has a much higher ISO, which can help get a better picture in the lower light situations, and I like that
  • I think that it is worth what it costs because of the beautiful, crisp images I have been able to get with it--treasures that will be in our family for generations

• by Lucy Jane

This camera rocks! My wonderful husband surprised me by having it sitting under the tree at Christmas, and I was so thrilled! He purchased this one as a replacement/upgrade for my older, less expensive model, the D3000. The D3000 was the predecessor to the D3100.

I enjoyed learning and practicing on the D3000, because that was my first DSLR, and it was a very simple camera with a beginner’s “guide mode” and would lead you through the steps to get the picture you wanted-without having to really know what you were doing! But when Nikon designed the D3100, I felt like they were very thoughtful and the upgrades from the older version are awesome! At first

I wondered if there would be enough of a difference for me to even notice, but I was impressed with the camera from the first time I picked it up.

Some of the things that I personally appreciate are the larger viewing screen and the “live view” feature.

I had been starting to get frustrated with the D3000 because there was no other option than to look through the viewfinder, so you would be in some pretty uncomfortable positions sometimes trying to get “the shot”.

For me, I know I found myself lying belly down on the ground, only centimeters away from a flower trying to get an up-close shot because that was the only way I could see the ...

• focus and composition.

So that is one of the absolute best things on the D3100—a very large live viewfinder! Also it has a much higher ISO, which can help get a better picture in the lower light situations, and I like that! Another stellar feature of this bad boy is the video recording, it is high def.

and awesome quality.

I like having a camera and videocamera in one, especially when I am chasing around my 2 year old trying to capture the moment—it is so convenient to be able to just switch it to video mode with the flick of a finger if she is starting to sing or dance and I want to catch it.

I can honestly say that this camera is one of my prized possessions, because with it I have been able to get some of the sweetest still shots and videos of my baby girl.

It has a good quality feel to it, as well, so when it’s in your hands, you feel like a pro!! I love Nikon and I am very happy with this camera! I passed my older one on to my hubby…and yet I find him using mine all the time! I think that it is worth what it costs because of the beautiful, crisp images I have been able to get with it–treasures that will be in our family for generations! Truly a fine gift that keeps on giving!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4321021427001128/k2311a0221/2.21.11