Winter’s Bone Movie  » Movies  »
1.5
  • I definitely felt the depressing, dark, and dreary Ozark town to be real and getting under my skin

• by Agoobacha

Winter’s Bone is the kind of movie that drags you down for hours after you finish watching it. Nothing particularly gory or traumatizing happens, however this slow, heavy clunker pulls you down like a boulder. I cannot figure out for the life of me why or how this film has gotten as much acclaim as it has.

The story is very straightforward, a girl surrounded by questionable, criminal characters, is trying to find her father, who is clearly part of the

questionable, criminal group, in order to salvage her family and home. That is literally it. Nothing else happens, the story never really unfolds beyond this simple premise. Ree, the protagonist, looks around, visits some menacing households, and only finds her answer in the last fifteen minutes of the movie. The pacing is absolutely horrible. Slow, unwieldy, and brooding, Winter’s Bone is incredibly unpleasant to watch. Also, the fact that every character speaks as if under the breath does not ...

• help with keeping a wakeful audience. I had to put the volume on the highest setting and still had trouble deciphering what anyone was saying.

The acting was passable, I suppose. There was not that much to be done except look sad and worried and everyone in the movie did have that down very well. Since there was very little range in the film, there was a similar lack of range in the performances, however that is not something that can

be blamed on the actors.

The only thing that this film did successfully was create an atmosphere. I definitely felt the depressing, dark, and dreary Ozark town to be real and getting under my skin. If that was the only purpose of this movie’s director than I would say this would be a solid A+, however as a movie must employ much more than mood, Winter’s Bone fell far short of my expectations and I would warn anyone away from it.

Winter's Bone Movie

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1118021426680628/k2311a0218/2.18.11