The Kids are Alright Movie  » Movies  »
  • I really wanted to like this movie, and I mostly did, however there was something about it that did not completely gel with me, a vital part was missing somewhere
  • I am not sure what exactly this movie set out to do, was it supposed to be funny or serious

• by Agoobacha

Start with a lesbian couple, throw in a sexy B-list starlet, and some precocious teens and you have The Kids Are Alright, a surprising contender for several of this year’s Oscars. I really wanted to like this movie, and I mostly did, however there was something about it that did not completely gel with me, a vital part was missing somewhere.

Perhaps it was that the various pieces of the story did not necessarily come together for me as they were presumably meant to. I did not enjoy Annette Benning’s tough-as-nails character Nik.

That’s not to say that Benning did not pull off a wonderful performance, but the character did nothing more than grate on my nerves for the entirety of the film, even when I was supposed to be feeling sorry for her. Then there was the constant “family communication” that is, of course, the cornerstone of any lesbian relationship, or so this film would have you believe. It does get kind of eye roll worthy when parents of a teenage boy with a friend whom they dislike automatically assume he must be carrying ...

• on a homosexual relationship with said friend. There are dozens of moments like this, all of which eventually add up to something a little bit over the top.

I am not sure what exactly this movie set out to do, was it supposed to be funny or serious? Maybe both? However it fell slightly short in both categories. There are some moments that elicit a chuckle, and there are some clearly upsetting scenes that make you think about the difficulties of being in a long-term relationship, of parenting, of growing up,

however overall I felt undecided and unsure which direction I was supposed to lean in most. In the end, I cannot really say what went wrong here, the performances were stellar, the story, on paper at least, was solid, and yet this movie was just okay.

I watched the Kids are Alright on a Sunday morning, and this is exactly the right time for this movie, a light, flighty movie that will not make or break your day, simply allow you a couple of hours of repose to unwind and be unencumbered by heavy thoughts.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1118021426660628/k2311a0218/2.18.11