Benefit High Beam Liquid Highlighter  » Cosmetics  »
  • This is a problem for us Asians when we live in a society where European features are highly treasured
  • I always admired a good friend of mine who appeared to have nice features but later I found out that my eyes had been duped by cosmetics
  • After doing some research, I decided on purchasing the High Beam highlighter from Benefit for $25
  • I was initially intimidated by the cost, which was comparably higher than other highlighters, but it sounded very promising from the product description
  • Overall, I would recommend Benefit High Beam Highlighter

• by sangwon

I had never heard of highlighter or what it does to the complexion. Furthermore I had never heard of the Benefit brand. So how did I come to use Benefit High Beam Liquid Highlighter? Because I’m Asian and I have Asian friends who wear and research on makeup. As some people are already aware, Asians are not known for having prominent facial features. The brow bone is practically nonexistent, not to mention the bridge of the nose. The cheekbones remain hidden no matter how much weight is lost from the face. This is a problem for us Asians when we live in a society where European features are highly treasured. Short of having cosmetic surgery (and even that has not been perfected because some celebrities look monster-scary), we turn to cosmetics. I always admired a good friend

of mine who appeared to have nice features but later I found out that my eyes had been duped by cosmetics. She revealed to me that she used a highlighter on her facial bones to accentuate her features. If she can do it, then so can I. After doing some research, I decided on purchasing the High Beam highlighter from Benefit for $25. I was initially intimidated by the cost, which was comparably higher than other highlighters, but it sounded very promising from the product description.

On appearance, it looks like a creamy pink-periwinkle foundation in a slender vial with a moderately thick consistency; it also comes with a brush applicator. The directions are to apply along the bone line, like under the brow bone and cheek bones, perhaps even under the jaw line. I apply it to all three areas.

• The product is very easy to apply and doesn’t require much skill because it blends in nicely with your makeup or normal complexion. There is a subtle luminescent effect due to the shimmery particles in the highlighter; the effect is very subtle but noticeable. You notice immediately that when applied to under the brow line, it makes the eyes look dewy and enhanced, which is the desired look we see in models. When applied to the cheek bones, the shimmer particles refract light in such a way that it deceptively adds depth to the prominences. It’s a better complement with makeup than a bare complexion and the blending is impressive. And the overall result is a positively highlighted, beautiful complexion that was worth every dime spent on the product.

There is one negative thing that is worth mentioning, other than the

cost. I noticed that the product only lasts a few hours. I don’t know if the skin is absorbing it or if the highlighter is just fading, but the effect wears off about 2-4 hours later, depending on the day’s humidity. So this product is not for long-term wear and I also would not recommend it for every day wear. Like I mentioned earlier, it’s more compatible with makeup and I don’t recommend wearing makeup everyday… let’s give our skins a break.

Overall, I would recommend Benefit High Beam Highlighter. I was delighted with the results – a brighter complexion with subtle highlights that accentuates your good features. It’s not cheap but is worth being used with discretion. You’ll be so happy with the results that you’d want to use it every day, which would not make one 0.45 oz of the highlighter last long.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3118021426320628/k2311a0218/2.18.11