O’Charley’s Southwestern Chicken Quesadilla  » Food  »
  • I find that I like my quesadilla lightly grilled with small amounts of oil but it’s difficult to request this from the cook
  • It’s under the appetizer menu, but it’s so hearty and delicious that I get it as an entrée

• by carblover

I have tried the chicken quesadilla at every popular sit-in American restaurant. All of them had the same components: flour tortilla, chicken, cheese, and pico de gallo. They may give you lettuce or tomato. There are two things that vary vastly from restaurant to restaurant. That’s the amount of oil they use and the spices in the chicken. I find that I like my quesadilla lightly grilled with small amounts of oil but it’s difficult to request this from the cook. I’ve tried; I ask for little oil when grilling and I end

up with a quesadilla barely heated with no oil. Or the cook didn’t understand or neglected my request and deep-fried the whole thing. So I just decided to deal with whatever I get. At O’Charley’s, I was pleasantly surprised.

When they said “grilled flour tortilla”, they meant it! I got a quesadilla with nice, toasty grill marks on the tortilla surface and they didn’t use too much oil. I could tell when I picked it up with my fingers; there was barely a shine. The quesadilla was sitting on several leaves of ...

• lettuce and topped with chopped tomatoes and a sprinkling of parsley. In the middle was a creamy mound of white sour cream. The cheese oozed as I picked up a slice and I could smell the southwestern essence from the chicken. It was smoky and there was an herb that I didn’t quite know (maybe oregano). There were good amount of chicken and cheese; it was delicious to chew in my mouth and savor. There was a helping of fresh pico on the side made with tomatoes, onion, and cilantro; it looked like a
        chunky and flavorful tomato salad. It balanced the richness of the chicken and cheese very well. I only wish there were more.

This was one of the better chicken quesadillas I’ve had. It was good balance of light and fat, fresh and rich. I would have preferred shredded lettuce because the leaf lettuce was a little wilted and tough to eat (more of a garnish than an ingredient). A wedge of lime would have been nice, too. It’s under the appetizer menu, but it’s so hearty and delicious that I get it as an entrée.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2717021425590528/k2311a0217/2.17.11