Bulk Bin Chinchilla Food
0.5
  • I think that is a big reason why my chinchillas would not eat it

• by bookwyrm

When I first bought my two chinchillas from the pet store, the pet store sold me the food that they were currently feeding them. The man at the pet store said that the food provided everything a chinchilla needed and that it was the “best buy”. Well, it was cheap, I admit that. It was $1.75 a pound if I recall correctly. But was it a good buy as he claimed? I quickly realized that it was not.

My chinchillas did not like the food from the bulk bin at the pet store at all. It seemed to me they would rather starve than eat it. There were little sunflower seeds in the food and

they picked those out, living on the seeds. The rest of the food they would not touch at all and it just sat in their bowls day after day. I would give them “fresh” food from the brown paper bag the pet store employee put the food in, but it didn’t matter. They still would not eat the food.

I do not like how there was no information regarding this food from the bulk bin that the pet store kept behind the sales counter. What brand was it? What were the ingredients? And was it really chinchilla food or was it food actually meant for some other animal? This was the same place that told ...

• me it was OK to feed mice food meant for hamsters. The two animals have different diets and they should not eat the same foods.

I also did not like that the food was stale. I think that is a big reason why my chinchillas would not eat it! The food was just kept in this big bin and the store employees were always opening it to scoop some out. That let the air in and the food quickly grew stale. How often was it replaced? How often was the bin cleaned out of old food or was new stuff just dumped on top? I don’t know.

And I really disliked that once I got

a bag that had wiggly worm-like things in it! Maybe they were maggots. Who knows? But it made me sick!

I have also seen bulk bins at other pet stores. These bins don’t even have lids on them at all and the food must be super stale. I pity the poor animals that are forced to eat the stuff. Some of the bins are not even marked as to the contents.

The “cheap” food from the bulk bins are not a good buy but a waste of money. Spend a few bucks more and get a sealed bag from the shelf that is guaranteed to be fresh when you open it.

This product deserves only a “1”.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2917021425250428/k2311a0217/2.17.11